Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

White Koi Is Still Being Shy,

He just sits in the one corner of the bin and stays there, occasionally he will move, to another corner and just huddle there.

His dorsal fin is up though, and he does look ok.

I have to be very very careful not to cast a shadow on the water, or move too quickly, because he freaks out and starts ramming his head into the sides of the bin trying to escape, (Like what happened to Nemo when they put him in the aquarium, if you have seen that movie).

When I put food (sinking pellets) in, he does not charge forward to eat them, I try to drop them into his corner. I did see him eat one or two though.

He is obviously stressed about his new home. How long should I let this go on? Should I move him to a smaller tank? I have a 10 gal, I could use, but he's a koi, so I didn't really want to put him in there.

Any ideas? He has plants to hide in, and I moved them around his "corner" so that he will feel safer.

He does not seem to interact with his little friend very much. Although they do hang out together in the corner every now and again. His little friend is skittish too, although not as bad as the koi.

Can koi eat goldfish food? I do have Koi pellets, but they float. So I can soak them and squeeze them to make them sink, but they are light and hard to aim for the koi's head. If they dont' drop right on him in his corner, he doesn't eat.

I have better luck aiming Hikari Lionhead, it's smaller, but heavier. I am trying to alternate the pellets.

Will the lionhead food hurt him?

I have also have Hikari Gold pellets, and flakes. Can he eat those, or should I strictly stick with the koi pellets and fresh veggies (if he will eat those, he wouldn't eat an orange)

Jessica

Guest Shiari

My koi ate goldfish flakes for the first month or so that I had them. He'll do well on those.

Have you tried the brine shrimp?

Shiari, no I have not tried the brine shrimp yet. The petstore is in the next town over. Which really is not that far, but we have been having nothing but snow for days!! I need it to stop snowing so the roads will be clear.

I can try the flakes. I have not tried those yet.

Thanks for your help,

I have brine shrimp on my shopping list ;) I can't wait to see if he likes that! I hope that will get him eating!

Jessica

Hi jessica :hi

my common goldfish was acting the same way when i got him he used too freak out when i came too close to the tank aswell and he would only swim a little bit too eat then go back behind the rocks and plants thats if i was out of sight so i hide too hide. the water quality was great and he had plenty of space 125 gallons with 4 other goldies ;) but now he is out and about and is very active and is usually much more active than my other fishies!!!!.

It took him about a week too 2 weeks to settle in but yours should be ok he is just nervous :) goldfish can take up too a month too get used and comfurtable to there new surroundings.

Koi are EXTREMELY skittish at first when introduced into a tank environment. Don't worry too much since its behavior sounds normal. Just make sure the koi has some company since they do not do very well when they are the only fish in a tank. By isolating it in the 10 gallon it is only going too make it worse unless you are dealing with a parasite problem.

Don't worry about the goldfish/ koi food difference since young koi will do great on goldie food. Most goldie food is higher in protein than koi feed and with a young one this is a good thing. My baby koi that I am overwintering in my goldie tank have been getting large amounts of hikari lionhead and the growth rates have been spectacular. You could try some frozen krill or even some cooked shrimp. I doubt he will pass that up. You could buy some fresh shrimp at the food store and boil it for a minute or so and then peel and chop.

Your main concern should be what you are going too do with this fish once it starts growing. Some say they can grow 4-6" per year but I have been able too put 10" on my 4" koi in 6 months. Just something too think about.

Thanks everyone! He does not appear sick just really stressed. I am glad to hear this is some what normal!

I love Hikari lionhead, I am glad it is ok for him to eat that. *whew*

He does have a friend in with him, a comet, that the lady pulled out of the feeder tank for me, and I got for free. I told her I didn't care which feeder, anyone would do but I ended up with a pretty one :D

Jetman I have a feeling if this guy is healthy and adjust to his new home, he is going to grow like a weed. All of my smaller fish seem to grow quite quickly. The larger fish have slowed down somewhat.

I am not sure where the koi is going to go when he gets huge. It depends on how fast he grows!!

He will go to a pond, either the zoo, or my parents (who have not even started their pond yet,) this spring or summer.

or if he is a slow grower (which I doubt!) he will probably stay with me, until I have a place with a pond.

That will be too funny if I end up taking him to the zoo! LOL how many people send a fish there haahaa.

He is in 40 something gallons of water right now, and is less than 2". I will have to move him into a stock tank or a pop up pool once he starts growing. I'm not sure which would be better. The pool is way bigger (400 gals) but it is not very deep, only about 26". The stock tanks are deeper, but do not hold as much water. I just felt bad for the little guy, he was ordered and then no one came to get him. He sat in a 15 or 20 gal tank for weeks with the fancy goldfish at the shop. He's my first koi :wub:

Awww fun, fun!!

Thanks for your help everyone :hug

Jessica

Edited by JessicaandMarshall

Here is one more thought:

A 10" koi is not twice as big as a 5" koi as most people would like too believe. A 10" koi is about 5 times bigger if not more than a 5" koi. I hope that makes sense.

And for Shiari, those soragoi pics are up now.

Edited by jetman73

you are right. it has to do with volume! I could have 50 1" kois in my 50 gal tank and they all would be happy but even ONE koi larger than 12" wouldnt really even have room to turn, let alone swim in a 50 gal tank :thud