I'm A Sucker! I Rescued A Red Cap Oranda From Pet-co ~ Covered In Ick!

What a cute fish! Glad you were able to save her! :)

She may be hiding and just sitting there because of the new environment. The stress of moving to a new home definitely does that to a fish. I say give her a few more days to get used to her surroundings; she'll probably come around sooner or later. She is eating, though?

Edited by MsAmpersand

What a cute fish! Glad you were able to save her! :)

She may be hiding and just sitting there because of the new environment. The stress of moving to a new home definitely does that to a fish. I say give her a few more days to get used to her surroundings; she'll probably come around sooner or later. She is eating, though?

Yes, she's eating. Just shy... I guess she's been through a lot with the ick. No telling how long she's been sick with it because her little red cap was covered in huge white spots!!! When I did her water change just now she moved around a lot.

UPDATE: I named my new oranda Cup Cake! She's doing well and swimming around more than when I first got her. The Ick went away and now she's moving around and eating unlike when I first got her. Now she's in the 10 gallon?hospital tank alone. I've been salting her about 7 teaspoons per water change and I've been changing out 80% of the water each time. Now she's got white spots on her head again but this time I'm not sure if it's ick or not. ?I'm wondering if maybe it's new wen growth. She has a row of white dots along the back of her wen and some on top. I don't see any more any where else on her. How do I know if it's wen growth or ick? Also, she's not rubbing the side of the tank or anything like that.

Nitrite - 0

Ph - 7.6

Nitrate - 0

Ammonia- .50

OK.. I'm getting to the end of my ropes! My new fish is not getting better!! I've been using ick meds on her and she still looks like this. I'm starting to think maybe it's something else.. What do you guys think? I've been giving her the ick meds for a long time now. when I started this thread was when I got her and she's still covered! It's even all over her cheeks but you can't see it in the photos because her face is white. Also, I've been salting her too... one teaspoon per gallon. I've been doing water changes every day! I don't know what else to do for her!! I've only had fish for about 2 months now.

cupcake.jpg

That is absolutely definitely NOT ich. Ich meds will be really bad for her and should be stopped immediately. Ich meds (except salt )can kill a fish that is not sick because they contain formalin- a very narrow safety margin if there is nothing for the formalin to work on, except the healthy fish skin....... :o

Get her in clean water fast. If she is acting fine it may just be wen growth.

She would just stay in one spot in the tank then all of a sudden just zip to another spot (is that what flashing is?)... it kind of looked like she was shaking the way she would zip around. I'm thinking that was the salt though. Her fishy skin does look dry and not right. I'll change her water and just leave her alone. Is there anything I should add or do for her? What about something for her slim coat?

wow nice red cap .. looks really cute where the red extends down to the top of the lips !!^^

Thank ?you! I hope she gets better soon!

Is this "not Ich" all over her? Or is it just located on her wen?

It's just on her cap really. i think what is on her cheek is the meds messing with her.. so i'm taking her out and putting her in clean water with no meds.

I put marbles, a background, and a small plant in the tank and she looks like she's doing a lot better. She's even picking at the plant and looking for food in the marbles!!?Does?anyone?else?think?a?fish?looks?board?whe

?they?are?in?a?bare?bone?tank?with?no?background,?

ocks,?etc...?because?the?bottom?of?the?tank?and?wa

ls?look?like?a?mirror.

Great news!!!! My new fishy (Cup Cake) is doing GREAT!!!!! She's swimming around as happy as can be and looks as healthy as all of my other fish!!!! She's even dancing back and forth in the front of the tank... all she needs is back up music!!! I though this day would never come!!!

Guest iaedyene

*cheer* Great to hear that Cupcake is doing much better! I'm so happy to hear that! And you know after seeing her pics I'm tempted to look at getting a oranda when I'm looking for a friend for Odin.