So When, Already!

oliver_black

I would like to think the freezing weather is passed and the ice in the pool is gone until next year. That being said, at what point do I begin feeding whatever has survived in the pool/pond? Of course, I have to get the pool cover off (going to need some muscular help for that), but I still have the small open area for feeding space near the steps. Should I wait until the water temperature reads 50 degrees (f) for a couple of days, or start earlier? When I do start to feed them, shall I use the wheat germ and egg pancakes (crumbled up), or some other goldfish food?

Oliver

What has the temps been around your place in the last couple of weeks?

I don't own a pond, but my understanding is the temps need to be warm enough for the fish to process the food, or you will have the same problems that you would get in the fall if you continued to feed them after the temps dropped below that.

What has the temps been around your place in the last couple of weeks?

I don't own a pond, but my understanding is the temps need to be warm enough for the fish to process the food, or you will have the same problems that you would get in the fall if you continued to feed them after the temps dropped below that.

It looks to me that the water is around 40 degrees now, and our weather has been in the 30 to 45 degree range

oliver

I waited until my pond was about 52 before feeding as that way I had a pretty good idea that it wouldn't drop again. But I have a large volume of water and it takes a bit to change the temp.

I'd leave the cover on yet. My greenhouse cover will stay on until the daytime temps are more stable and to where I know the night temps won't lower the pond temp much. I probably have at least a month to go for that.

Oliver, I would definetely wait for feeding until the water temps are in their mid 50s. Otherwise the food will not be processed correctly, and will rot inside the fish, causing all kinds of issues from possible bacterial problems to constipation.

When you start feeding, I would go for something light as their first couple of meals to not overload their system right away. Maybe something on plant basis. If there still is some algae left on the pond walls, the fish most likely will start nibbling on that on their own time. :)