Sign in to follow this  
Trico

The Difficulties Of A Public Tank

Ok my mom has a 28 gallon at her work, I manage it and all. Theres already 5 goldfish in it (Fancies and don't badger me about it being overstocked). Well my moms co-worker was going away, so she dumped her 3 neon tetras in the tank... what made her do that? I mean wtf? they might be disease ridden, and they're tropicals oppposed to the cold-water goldfish. Those goldfish are fed pellets, so the neon tetras can't get em in thier mouths... I don't know to do. They're adding to the already massive overstocking....

Sorry I had to rant. :o

I would post a big sign stating facts about fish !!!!and how they put ALL fish at risk ..and if they are not going to take care of the fish properly they can higher somone else to do the maintenece .!!!!! You do all the hard work to maintain healthy fish and someone throws a wrench in the works!!!!! :madrant

That really bothers me when people do stuff like that without thinking. :blowup: Okay, you don't want your fish anymore but don't dump them on someone else and possibly give that persons fish an illness. Do you have an empty tank or know of someone who has an empty tank so the neons can be seperated from the goldies? The neons probably won't last long if they can't compete with the goldies for food. I'll pray for your goldies that they don't get sick.

Thanks. I have a 5 gallon spare, I'll set that up.

I asked my mom and she said that the fishes owner is going on a week vacation, so she dumped them in thinking I will just pamper the poor neons as I did with the goldies.

I think she plans to pick them up from my Involuntary "Daycare" in the next few days... this angers me, I'm not mad at the fish just their owner.

I would love to have a neon tetra tank, but I'll see how things turn out.

Didn't the co-worker have them in a tank of their own? If they were intending to pick them up again when they came back then it would of made more sense to find someone to fish-sit them...tank & fish....until their return. Rather then throw them in a strange tank....no doubt without allowing the fish to adjust to the different temp......and then re-catch them upon their return. Alot less stressful for the fish and it would have avoided risks to your goldies.

Edited by shubunkin lover

Thanks. I have a 5 gallon spare, I'll set that up.

I asked my mom and she said that the fishes owner is going on a week vacation, so she dumped them in thinking I will just pamper the poor neons as I did with the goldies.

I think she plans to pick them up from my Involuntary "Daycare" in the next few days... this angers me, I'm not mad at the fish just their owner.

I would love to have a neon tetra tank, but I'll see how things turn out.

That five gallon tank should be fine for the neons until the owner returns. What she should be told, however, is that it stressed the poor neons MORE to be moved like that than if she had just left them for a week with no food. Transportation is very hard on neons and she shouldn't be surprised to lose one or two because of her stupidity in taking them out of an already established tank and dumping them someplace new. And what about the cycle on her tank at home? That will likely be affected too. (Big Sigh)

Oh and BTW, be sure you hand her a bill for the pet sitting you did for that week. You could reasonably charge $5 a day for all the hassle and effort you'll go through to pet sit them......

I would place a large note on the Goldie tank saying something like:

Do not DUMP unwanted fish in other people's tanks.

This is harmfull to fish health as it spreads diseases.

If you would like advise on fish care, please ask.

However even signs aren't read or cared about by some people.

Hope your goldies are doing get :ill .

Edited by Peanuts

The was rather presumptuous of your Mother's co-worker to assume that someone would care for her fish.

Your Mother knew that she was going on vacation, and when she'd be back - so perhaps she gave her the okay?

In any case, perhaps a sign on the tank would be a good idea. Something simple - along the lines of "This is a personal tank, not a community tank."

It might be comical if - upon the co-worker's return - your Mom mentioned that her goldies are diseased, and she hopes the tetras don't come down with something. It might make this person think twice about just plopping her fish in different tank. :teehee

Debbie

Bleh... the neon tetras gave ich to everyone. I had to take the black moor home, and its not going back even after it heals; one of its bottom anal fins is totally gone also...

Its the residents living there favorite fish. I am angry that the neon tetras are there. I'm salting to 3%, and if the neon tetras can't handle it... so be it. I'm just overwhelmed.. right after I got the ich out of my main tank, whooooooooooooooosssssssshhhhhhhh it appears in the other one. Not only that, but my baby telescope is sick with anchor worm.

Wish me luck. Ranting is the only thing I can do without freaking out completely.

that's horrible! that owner has no responsiblity, do you have their phone number, if you do, you shouldgive them a call and tell them what they have done to your fish :krazy:

best of luck treating ich! :)

Edited by love-rabbit-fish

Blehggggghhhh... my mom told me that 2 neons had died and the pretty redcap oranda had passed on. I'm taking them all home for the time being...

I hate having a public tank, with school and golf, I can't do the full maintenance I need to to b/c its a public area... Especially since my mom was too impatient even after I told her that we should cycle the tank first. This sucks face...

sorry about your red cap.... :rip:

you could have a school a zebra danois at the work tank..they are really hardy fish and very fun to watch.

Bleh I gotta keep all 4 (3 goldies, 1 neon) in a 5 gallon overnight and until after school. Then I'll probly set-up my spare 20 gallon for em.

that might not be such a good idea. Do you have any buckets you could put them into overnight? perhaps an air pump as well?

Well I put 2 into a 10 gallon last night, and 1 and the neon tetra are in the 5 gallon.

Guest goldfishforme

I say flush the neons and tell her they died when she comes back. Neons die if you look at them the wrong way, she'll believe you. ;)