Dwarf Puffers

I had a massive snail infestation in a new tank so I went out and got 5 little freshwater dwarf puffers. They were amazing. They began "hunting" the snails the moment I released the from the bag. What agile little hunters they are! Now, a week later, they have almost completely eaten every snail in the tank. I'm growing more snails for them and they'll eat live black worms and bloodworms, so they won't starve!

I'm just enchanted with these little guys. They are rather aggressive, so the tank is heavily planted and there is a cave and lots of hiding places for them. And I do not have any other fish in with them, as they are fin nippers. The tank is a 20 gallon long, so they are doing really well in all that space.

Here's a pic of their tank. Unfortunately the puffs themselves are too small and quick to get their picture taken!

pufftank.jpg

Love your tank, and your puffers sound really neat too! LOL "agile little hunters" They sound fun to watch. :)

About how big are they?

Guest Ink Fish

Hi,

I love dwarf puffers. They're so tiny and cute, and they don't have to be kept in massive tanks.

Nice tank. If you put the camera on anti-blur and macro, turn off the filters and room lights, you can get really cool pictures of them darting through the water.

Inky :D

• 5 weeks later...
Here's a neat video that I found.

They are too cute... I would luv to have one for my tropical tank. Do any of the big chain stores sell them? I've never seen one for sale...

Puffers should be in a species tank, not with other types of fish. They are mildly aggressive and will bite at other fish.

Here's a neat video that I found.

They are too cute... I would luv to have one for my tropical tank. Do any of the big chain stores sell them? I've never seen one for sale...

Puffers should be in a species tank, not with other types of fish. They are mildly aggressive and will bite at other fish.

Yeah, i know... I was gonna edit my post to say "they'll prolly be too aggressive though so I'll have to set up another tank". Then I thought, hmm lets see how many people call me out on that, hehe. Thanks for the advice though!