New Research Shows That Crayfish Are Able To Recognise Each Other's Faces

13vi

People just don't realize how smart some animals really are. There are birds that can learn how to say the alphabet, dogs that can tell if a person has cancer, and now crayfish can recognize each other. We don't give animals enough credit for how smart they really are.

People just don't realize how smart some animals really are. There are birds that can learn how to say the alphabet, dogs that can tell if a person has cancer, and now crayfish can recognize each other. We don't give animals enough credit for how smart they really are.

Here here well put. Personally i love yabbies as they are called over here i have had some growing up.

Oh just thought i would mention it has been scientifically proven that parrots do not learn to talk in a sense like you and I do they just mimic the sound, frequency and pitch made when you say a word so when they say it, it sounds like a proper word. Cool huh

Well, it would be interesting to read the whole report but just from the information in the article it isn't clear to me whether the yabbie recognised the face of his enemy or the distinguishing liquid paper 'markings'.

Yeah, I know Dan. There are birds that can learn to do really amazing things though, like the crow. It is actually one of the worlds smartest birds, believe it or not. When I was at this place called the national aviary in Pittsburgh, they had a crow there who would fly to you, land on your arm, and take a dollar out of your hand and bring it back. That crow was like, brilliant. There are a lot of smart birds out there. I would know, I have studied birds since I was like, four or something. They are definately my favorite animal. (Well, besides fish at least.) Yabbie, hah, that's a wicked awesome name! A lot more interesting than crayfish at least!

Yeah, I know Dan. There are birds that can learn to do really amazing things though, like the crow. It is actually one of the worlds smartest birds, believe it or not. When I was at this place called the national aviary in Pittsburgh, they had a crow there who would fly to you, land on your arm, and take a dollar out of your hand and bring it back. That crow was like, brilliant. There are a lot of smart birds out there. I would know, I have studied birds since I was like, four or something. They are definately my favorite animal. (Well, besides fish at least.) Yabbie, hah, that's a wicked awesome name! A lot more interesting than crayfish at least!

Lots of birds can learn to do what the crow does, besides it isn't the bird that does anything it is a natural instinct it is the trainer/handler that is trained not the bird. African Grey's are the worlds smartest species of bird and definitely my favourite. Yeah yabbies are awesome not many people in my area keep them as pets though. Usually they are sold as food from the fish markets sort of like a sweet lobster if no one has had one before.

They are a pretty common food down here as they are in almost every natural water way and farmers make a fair bit of money selling them.

Birds are just downright awesome if you ask me. They are so cool. I have seen places that sell crayfish/yabbies as food around here, they must taste like lobster or something. I have had lobster before but no crayfish.

Lots of birds can learn to do what the crow does, besides it isn't the bird that does anything it is a natural instinct it is the trainer/handler that is trained not the bird. African Grey's are the worlds smartest species of bird and definitely my favourite. Yeah yabbies are awesome not many people in my area keep them as pets though. Usually they are sold as food from the fish markets sort of like a sweet lobster if no one has had one before.

They are a pretty common food down here as they are in almost every natural water way and farmers make a fair bit of money selling them.

Isn't there a species of bird that will take a hard-shelled nut and put it under the tire of a car at a stoplight, wait til it crushed the nut and then ate it? I remember reading about it but I can't remember what species, though...

Isn't there a species of bird that will take a hard-shelled nut and put it under the tire of a car at a stoplight, wait til it crushed the nut and then ate it? I remember reading about it but I can't remember what species, though...

Never heard of that one most birds are strong enough just break a nut shell open with their beak.

Actually, Anic is in fact talking about the crow. I saw that on a show on animal planet called Most Extreme. Most birds can open a peanut shell or something, but somthing like a walnut is beyond what a bird is capable of cracking, unless it's a parrot or something. Most birds beaks aren't quite that powerful. Weird, we went from talking about crayfish to talking about birds! Oh well!

I thought it was a crow.

Yea, crawdads and brids are completely unrelated. lol

But the article said that they recognized the ink markers, not the actual face. Would they recognize them by what they actually look like? Like how some people can tell twins apart? Cause to me, most all crawdads look the same...

Actually, Anic is in fact talking about the crow. I saw that on a show on animal planet called Most Extreme. Most birds can open a peanut shell or something, but somthing like a walnut is beyond what a bird is capable of cracking, unless it's a parrot or something. Most birds beaks aren't quite that powerful. Weird, we went from talking about crayfish to talking about birds! Oh well!

Yes when i meant nut cracking birds i meant a parrot as generally they are the only birds that can tolerate the high oil content in nuts all the parrots i have owned can open a walnut shell my green cheek conure can. My other parrots i have owned have been able to open a macadamia nut shell and they are the hardest shell on a nut in the world

I used to have a green-cheeked conure, but my mom couldn't stand taking care of him and she gave him to my aunt. Parrot's beaks are extremely powerful, I have no doubt that they could open a macadamia. Crows beaks just aren't quite that powerful, so they have to rely on different methods. You seem to know an awful lot about birds Dan, do you study birds or something?

I used to have a green-cheeked conure, but my mom couldn't stand taking care of him and she gave him to my aunt. Parrot's beaks are extremely powerful, I have no doubt that they could open a macadamia. Crows beaks just aren't quite that powerful, so they have to rely on different methods. You seem to know an awful lot about birds Dan, do you study birds or something?

lol just saw this reply. Yes i do study birds, and my dad's best friend owns Australia's largest and most prestigious pet store and have learned alot from helping out there. I have owned dozens birds and that comes with a learning experience. My Dad used to breed birds. I guess you could say they are my other passion besides fish. Sorry you had to give your Green Cheek Conure away i love my little girl definitely the most affectionate parrot i have owned besides the Macaw we had briefly.

I have had four birds, a cockatoo, a green cheeked conure, a lovebird, and a parakeet. The cockatoo was cool but she was really agressive, my dad was terrified of her, she only liked my mom and if someone other than my mom would touch her she would bite, hard (she nearly pierced my dads ear). The conure was probably my favorite, he was the tamest and liked people more than the others. The lovebird wasn't very tame, she didn't like people touching her and would bite. The parakeet was better but still not incredibly social, much more than the cockatoo or the lovebird though. We had to give the cockatoo away at a bird show to a breeder from Pittsburgh, we gave the lovebird to the pastor of my old church, who breeds lovebirds and finches, and my parakeet died, so no birds left anymore. Birds are definately my favorite animal, I have studied them for years. They are awesome. You had a macaw, huh? They are awesome, but they are huge and my dad would have a fit if he got near one (after what the cockatoo did to him, he does not like parrots too much).

Cockatoos are like little children you have to put them in there place with training. Yeah we had a macaw but we only nursed him back to health then he went back to Taronga Zoo :) Sounds like your birds ruled the roost which was why the cockatoo went for your father all the time. She probably liked your mum because she had dominated her, and saw your father as a threat to there relationship. Conures don't bond to one specific person they bond to the family so more than one person can play with them this is because in the wild (Brazil) they stick in groups of 100's and that gives them a bad reputation down there they are a pest bird in Brazil and often shot as they destroy crops I can see why my girly has to rearrange everything. Birds have a society order it is sort of like a petting order with dogs but i call it a pecking order lol :rofl

Archived