Sign in to follow this  
Guest Forever-Mango

Newbie Question

Guest Forever-Mango

I was wondering, being in the southern hemisphere.

During winter the nights can fail to a few degrees,

my fancy goldies are currently in the pond outside,

they seem to be ok, but will they be ok through the

winter?

Regards

Mango

Fancy goldfish are a little more sensative to cold water than the single tails. But nightly temp drops won't hurt them. I'm in the North and in the summer the temps at night drop 10- 20 degrees and the fish are fine. In the winter the ponds here are covered with ice.

You are in Sydney so am I judging by the crazy weather we have been having i would say they should be fine out side during night time it never gets colder than 10degrees so they should be fine. Our weather does not compare to any other country i think you could probably keep them out there in winter as well as our winters are very rarely colder than 10degrees.

Edited by dan in aus

You could keep fancies outside over the winter if 10 degrees C is as cold as it gets. Thats not even cold. Here our winter temps can drop to -30C and it's not uncommon for our temp to drop down to 10C in the summer.

-30!! wowzer!

I'd be more worried about my pond evaporating here in Brisbane than temperature fluctuations :P

Guest Forever-Mango

Thats good :D

Just wondering, is it a good thing to put something over the pond to keep them warm or something?

I currently got some shade cloth like 1.5m above the pond and bird net on top of pond.

Have 7 ranchu and 2 ryukin in there, so far so good.