Gray Patches On Goldfish?

Carole

Hi,

My fantail goldfish has developed gray patches under each of her eyes and gray speckles on her tail. The gray appeared over the course of one day. She is normally bright reddish orange on top and really white under her belly and on her face. It is on some of the white part that the gray developed.

The fish is acting fine. I just finished treating a bacterial infection with anti-bacterial food that I have used successfully several times in the past.

What is causing the gray to appear? Is it anything to worry about?

Hi Carole and welcome.

Would you mind answering as many of the questions as you can from the white box above so we get an idea of your set up and routine and also any info that might be relevant on the fishes disease history if that's possible.

A picture also would help.

* Test Results for the Following: No

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

* Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gal, 2+years

* What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aquaclear 50

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% every two weeks

# How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fantails, 3-4 in including tails

# What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

# Any medications added to the tank? antibacterial food a week ago for a resolved infection

# Add any new fish to the tank? New plants 4 weeks ago: money wort, horn wort, anubias.

# What do you feed your fish? goldfish crisps, sometimes peas and omega one

# Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? just the gray spots on the one fish

# Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, etc..? Normal behavior

The infection was in the form of red marks on the other fish. That fish has had that in the past and it always clears up with the medicated food. Medicated food was given to both fish even though obvious symptoms where only found in the one fish.

Here are pictures where you can see the gray patches under the eyes, on the upper lip, and gray lines on the fins. The fins have gotten somewhat darker since I first saw this yestorday.First pic:post-6694-1204174107_thumb.jpg

Second pic:

Here is a pic I took just three days ago:

post-6694-1204174210_thumb.jpg

post-6694-1204174261_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carole

Sorry no-one got to you Carole.

It looks like repair cells. So an erroneous darkening of the skin cells due to something the fish is reacting to as poison.

Did it happen soon after eating the medicated food? I have seen this darkening happen after salting in one of my fish.

The red patchy parts on the other fish I feel will heal up more permanently if you can up your water changes to weekly at least and also increase your filtration. The trouble with smaller tanks is the bacteria build up is much faster than large tanks.

Finish the medicated food course for the recommended duration anyway. The grey color will correct itself.