Sign in to follow this  
coachriley5

Please Help My Sluggish Goldfish

my lionhead hes just very sluggish. not swimming like he used to. all levels are 0. ph 7.4. 10 gall. has been going to top a lot and then again goes to bottom and kind of just stays there. doesnt seem like he has swim bladder disease but his swimming is a little off. he also has white spots on his head.

hi

white spots on his head could either b new wen growth or ich, does it look kinda like grains of salt? R there any other fish in the tank? Hanging near the surface could b a sign of parasites or lack of oxygen, could u try and answer all the questions at the top of the page?

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 0

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.4

Ph Level out of the Tap?

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10

What is the name and size of the filter/s? aqua clear 20

How often do you change the water and how much? 15% weekly

How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 lionhead

What kind of water additives or conditioners? just aquarium salt w each change

Any medications added to the tank? n/a

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? flakes, sometimes brine shrimp

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? white spots on head, looks like wen growth but not hard looking. not really sure tho, no spots anywhere else

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? bottom and ocassional goes to top a lot. has air stone

have u ever treated for flukes?

Hi

I was wondering where you went i was helping you in another thread about the same thing but you only visited it once and then never replied back.

Your tank is un cycled there is a problem called new tank syndrome which is similar to what you are describing. I recommend that you have a good read over these links on basic goldfish care.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html#Feeding

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Are you adding any dechlorinator? If not that is most likely one of your problems.

How much salt are you adding to the tank?

Oh Shamu i don't think it is flukes as i mentioned there was another on going thread about this me and pixie put it down to what i had mentioned above.

Edited by dan in aus

the water is filtered from refrigerator.. tespoon per gallon

Just because it is filtered through the fridge does not mean it is safe for fish, you need some de-chlor like Prime or Amquel. There are many things in the water that can harm fish ie. Chlorine and Chloramines and other harsh metals, these can only be removed by dechlorinating your water. Is there any reason you are salting your tank? Salting your tank can cause more stress in the long run.

Edited by dan in aus

its not good to always have salt in the water, just once in awhile, and yes u should still use de-chlor just incase

ok, thanks,.. good to know, he was fine for 2 weeks.. you think that is the reason why he is acting like this>??? too late to add de-chlor?? with fish already in it?

You are only supposed to have a tank salted when you are treating for a parasite such as ich or when you are cycling a tank and you get up to the nitrite portion as it helps the gills from sustaining damage. Having a tank salted 24/7 is a big no no. You also need some de-chlor i can not stress that enough. The problems you are having are very simple to treat. Do you have any de-chlor? If you do i would add some to the water and do a 75% water change with out adding the salt you do not need it at this point in time. ;)

If you are curious about salting a tank click on the salting link in my sig.

Edited by dan in aus

u can still add de-chlor, give that a try

ok, thanks,.. good to know, he was fine for 2 weeks.. you think that is the reason why he is acting like this>??? too late to add de-chlor?? with fish already in it?

No it is not to late to add de-chlor if you have fish already in there i would do so immediately. Also I would do a 75% water change as well that should help perk things up.

ok so ill buy water dechlor tomorrow and i can just add it with my fish in there, or do i need to take him out ?or do i take him out on seperate container, do a 75% water change and add dechlor? and then how long i wait to put him back in?

ok so ill buy water dechlor tomorrow and i can just add it with my fish in there, or do i need to take him out ?or do i take him out on seperate container, do a 75% water change and add dechlor? and then how long i wait to put him back in?

Okay when you get some water de-chlor put some straight into the tank following the instructions on the bottle it will tell you how much to add. Leave your fish in the tank. Do you have a syphon? I assume you do since you do water water changes. I think forget about the 75% water change for now if there is no improvement after the water de-chlor has been added (don't expect instant results when i mean after i mean like 2-3hours) then you can do one. Empty 75% of the tank water add water de-chlor to the tank (it has to be enough to treat the entire tank) and fill it up how ever way you fill it up.

whats a syphon? so no water change for now, just leave fish in and water dechlor wont hurt it ...

How do you do water changes? A syphon is a hose with a barrel on the end like in this link. http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl36...velwashermedium

if this does work, does it usually take a few days??? i feel bad for the guy, i dont want to kill it. want him to live happy and healthy

It should take about a day or 2 to see an improvement if there is no improvement i would definitely post back asap.

Alot of the questions you are asking are fairly basic and while i have no problem answering them all the answers are in those 4 links i posted in post number 6.

Edited by dan in aus

Ok you should really invest in a syphon to change water in such a small tank makes life a breeze

Hi CoachR - I remember that Dan and I were both trying to help on another thread which you stopped answering.

I'm wondering about a few things and have some questions:

In the old thread your fish was in a 5.5gal tank - is this 10 gal new? If so, how long has it been running?

All the readings are zero which means it is not yet cycled - with this in mind I am wondering how the readings remain like this with only 15% weekly water-changes. Are you using zeolite or ammo-chips to absorb ammonia?

You say your water is from the fridge filter: What is it's PH? Do you allow it to warm up before adding it to the tank?

Filters very often strip out some of the alkalinity in the water so it would be very important to know it's PH and if possible the KH, too. API make a drop test kit for measuring this. If the KH (alkalinity) is too low your tank will be at risk of PH crash.

Meanwhile, it is absolutely vital that you dechlorinate and temp match any water used in changes.

Until you are cycled I would be doing changes every day - 15% weekly is inadequate even for a cycled tank (30 -50% much better) but during cycling you should test readings daily and change water accordingly.

Can you post back with the answers to these questions? - then we may be able to help further.

PS. Be sure to read the links Dan mentioned as unless you're clear on all the info you will be at a great disadvantage when it comes to caring for the fish.

had the 10 running for quite some time, did have another fish in there like a month ago but i transferred the betta to a bowl. i am not using zeolite chips, the pH is 7.4 and i allow it to equilibrate to norm temp of 72 range before i add the fish in. so i should change 50% every day, is that too much??

Have you gotten any water de-chlor yet? If not do not do a water change as you could make things worse. If you do have some water de-chlor now i would do a 50% water change. When cycling a tank with fish in it you let the water tests decide how much water to change out daily. Like if your ammonia is say .50ppm then i would do a 50% water change as it should bring it to zero. Test daily and try to keep the ammonia and nitrite as close to 0 as possible.

Edited by dan in aus