Fry Update

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

Update on second batch: Down to 4 from 13. :( However this round of survivors seem VERY vigorous. I can already see their gills pumping where the last batch at this age were basically invisible.

Batch three: LOL. Yes a third batch of eggs has been deposited. In fact there are so many eggs they are splashed all over outside the tank and probably on my floor :) Turns out Kurt IS a girl. I think he's (SHE'S) the mom of this third batch. I'm pretty sure Calcifer is also the mom of the SECOND batch. Pretty sure. Saiyouli is causing all of this uproar! There are eggs covering every visible surface it seems :D I'm glad, more chances for me to actually raise a few.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Halloween

I have 2 left of the second batch. I will try once more if these two die (one has fungus), but after the third try I won't be doing this again. No matter what I do they die. I do 100% water changes daily and feed constantly yet they all get fungus and die. I've taken all advice here and nothing has worked.

It's no fun when they ALL die, and my back hurts from all the lifting and water changes and tank cleaning. > :(

Guest Halloween

Good news.

The fry that had fungus does NOT any longer. He has survived. I shaved a Fungus Clear tab into their water and I think that did the trick. I had a change of heart on the 3rd batch of eggs and pulled between 20 and 40 good eggs out. Around 12 are hatched now.

They're eating more and more at every feeding. Daily 100% water changes continue.

I'm so happy for you! See, this is the foundation of your gf breeding career! In a few years you're going to look back on this and think ''...I wish I was still a noob again with only 2 fry...now I have 2,000 x.x()''

Guest Halloween

OH NO! Fry has fungus again!!! I don't know what's going on. It's still eating but who knows. I may take that fry out and treat it alone so the other isn't exposed.

I have about 50 other fry now. WAY more than I thought hatched :\ Hope I can manage to keep a few of them alive.

SO UNCERTAIN!

Guest Halloween

Both fry died in the night. I have the remaining 50 or so new fry. Will attempt to raise them. If all fails I'm done with having fry.

I am so sorry. Do not let this dampen your spirits too much. Raising fry is not that hard - but it is a rather particular thing. If the eggs are too cool or too hot, if there is too much current, if the food is not right, if......

I ended up culling the entire first spawning I had. I messed them all up. I really messed up the majority of another spawning. And last year's fry were not nearly so healthy and good as this years. I went through thousands..... learning all along the way.

You can do it - but it does take a lot of work and a whole lotta luck.

Guest Halloween

Most of the 3rd batch is still alive. I've had to cull a few that had obvious problems. One died on it's own but I certainly have more alive than dead. :) They're only 5 or so days old though.

Guest Halloween

Most of the fry are still well. I've taken 1 out with fungus. Some are a lot bigger than the others. Do they need to be taken out yet?

Also, at what age can you tell if they will have dorsal fins? There is ONE fry that I SWEAR, has a dorsal fin. They're about 9 days old now.

Guest Halloween

Most fry are still alive, the bigger fry are the ones to die. A have fungus. Been taking them out. Quite a few still alive. Not holding my breath. Daily water changes haven't worked, every other day water changes haven't worked, weekly water changes haven't worked. I don't think anything does.

Still wondering about the dorsal fin question. Now it seems there are a bunch with tiny little dorsals <3 Also, saw a single tail in the bunch! I can see the pectoral fins on a lot of them now without squinting.

Guest Halloween

A few more have died, but only one or two from fungus. I still count around 45 fry. Although, some fry grow really big and those are the ones that die. When they reach a certain size they die. So they're all quite tiny.

Guest Halloween

Fry are 21 days old now I believe, (if I counted right), I have between 35 and 45 still alive. Although I can see at least 3 that are struggling to stay upright so they may die in the night or need to be culled. I have about 6 big super healthy fry. They're not aggressive and hogging the food yet. When they do I'll have to separate them. I'm glad to say that the only single tail is one of the healthy bigger ones. I noticed him way back around 5 or 6 days!!! I'm happy he's made it this far!! The same parents of these fry (Saiyouli and Kurt) have spawned again but I let them and their tank mates eat the eggs.

Questions;

+ About how long should a 21 day old fry be? They seems so small.

+ What other foods can they have, up until now all they've been eating are First Bites. Can they have the regular fish food crushed?

+ How deep of water can they have now? I still keep them in less than 6 inches of water.

Guest zildjian_4

since pretty much all your fry have gotten fungus so far, why not try changing the water completely?put some of the eggs or fry in a totally different tank. eliminate the problem at the source.

Guest Halloween
since pretty much all your fry have gotten fungus so far, why not try changing the water completely?put some of the eggs or fry in a totally different tank. eliminate the problem at the source.

Ughhh, I haven't had problem with fungus for quite some time now. I do weekly 100% water changes and this has eliminated the problem of fungus. I don't use NEW water either. I use water out of the parents tank. I figured, if the fish spawned in that, and the eggs hatched in that, than there's something RIGHT about that water.

When changing water, realize that ifyou use water from the parent's tank,you are placing the "used" water for your youngsters to grow in. Even if the parameters are zero ammonia, zero nitrite and less than 5ppm nitrates, the adults secrete growth hormones into the water - something that may restrict the growth of the other fish in the water (fry).

At 21 days old, I would expect the average fry in a group to be about 1/2 in long. That is a very VERY average guess. Each breed has a bit different growth pattern - and each line within a breed may have a different growth pattern. Fry that are not fed heavily will grow substantially slower than ones that are given high protien food every 2-4 hours. Fry in pristine water will grow faster than ones that are struggling with water parameters.

I keep my fry on 100% protien - live food for at least the first few weeks. Generally, until they are large enough that they can eat Daphnia, they eat baby brine shrimp. Then Daphnia. Then brine shrimp. Then crushed fish flakes - soaked. I have a HUGE spawning if 2 (that is right - just TWO :rolleyes: ) fry that are about 1 inch long at 6 weeks...... They are eating Seafood flakes and Hikari Lionhead pellets (they are small pellets) and brine shrimp about 4 times a day. Keep the the protien..... and realize that heavy feeding usually means that you have to change water heavily.

As far as the depth of the water - the reason for the shallow water for the fry is mostly for when they are first hatched. A newly hatched fry will attach to a near surface - the spawning grass or the glass of the tank. There, it will hang until it consumes the egg sac that it has. Once consumed the fry will make an all important dash to the surface to gulp that first gulp of air to fill it's swim bladder. If the water is too deep, has too much current or has a skum built on the surface, the fry will fail to make it to the surface to get a proper gulp of air. That dooms the fry to being a bottom rider - and death. Once the fry are free swimming horizontally, they are ready for "deeper" water. I add in more water than I take out at each change, until the tank is about 12-14 inches deep. Once your water is deeper, too, the sponge filter will work correctly - and you can get it running to keep the water pristine (or help).

:)

Guest Halloween

I'm glad they can have more water now!

As for a filter, I do have a sponge filter but it's made for a 20 gallon tank and the only tank I have to use is a 10 gallon (and also a 5 gallon if maybe I separate the big ones from the little guys)

I'm afraid to use new water because it seems the last two batches of fry recieved new water during water changes and that caused them all to float and then die within 2 or 3 days. I don't know if all of that was related... But it left a bad taste in my mouth. Does totally new water for the fry get treated the same way for adult fish? Same amout of water conditioner? That type of stuff. I suppose temp should be exactly the same. I would imagine even half a degree hotter or colder could harm the fry beyond repair.

Fry are delicate - and do require a bit of care in matching water temps and parameters, etc. But they are not so fragile that you cannot change the water. With really small ones - like yours - I suggest that you simply scoop water off the top with a cup. I use the quart containers that come with Chinese for many water changes on smaller fry tanks like 10s and 20s. They are not making noticable waste that sits on the bottom anyway - the waste is in the water.

I have sponge filters that do not fit in a 10 gallon tank because, with the uplift tube they are taller than the tank's water. With a good bubbler going inside and the sponge submerged, you can still get some biological filtration going on the sponge, though, by simply removing the plastic uplift tube. Stand the sponge away from the glass of the tank - the fry can get caught between the glass and the sponge and die.

Fry grow sooooo much better with pristine water. :)

Guest Halloween

Thanks daryl for all your help with me and my fry.

A bunch of them have fallen ill with fungus (I spoke to soon) and of course it's my biggest ones that caught it. Including my only single tail. It's lost it's lore and fun. I don't even want to try the remaining. They're going to all die. There's no sense in continuing.

Not doing this again. It's really a load of BS.

I tried like I said I would with these guys and I said if it didn't work out I was done. And now I am.

The End

El fin

/try

/caring

however you say; "DONE"

It was sort of fun.