Fry Update

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

Well. I have 1 fry left after once having around 15. One morning I woke up and all but 6 were gone. Then, I cleaned the tank out and returned them. 4 were left by the next day and then the next day showed me only one. One little pond fish fry. I named him Cojiro (after the blue Cucco from Legend of Zelda <333) I hope he pulls through for me!!!! He's had a rough start but I think I have things under control now!!! Picture tonight of the little friend!

In other news my fancies have given me eggs (and just today) fry. I noticed one hatched. Must have just hatched as it's still laying on the bottom. Hope it perks up. There are between 15 and 17 eggs due to hatch. Hope the rest make it out ok!!!!

Calcifer my chocolate Lionhead is mom (my little Side-Swimmer is allll grown up!!) and Saiyouli my long-finned calico Fantail/Ryukin? is the dad. I hope I get calico Lionheads out of the deal <33333333 Or chocolate fantails!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newly hatched babies will bottom sit - or attach to the glass or the plants - for the first couple of days while they use up their yolk sac. Until they do this, they need no food. Within 2-3 days of hatching, though, they will need some food.

I am sorry to hear that your others did not make it.

:(

Guest Halloween

Cojiro is still doing fine. He isn't very big but he packs food away just like his parents can :P He has tiny pectoral fins now and they are CUTE. I can see the rays in his tiny little tail even. <3 His little eyes move around now! And I can see his mouth move!!! So tiny.

The fancies are all hatched now WITH another small bunch of eggs that Calcifer keeps spitting out (the rest I left in the tank for them to clean up). Only a few though, more fry hatched than I expected with the first round. At the highest count I had 39 fry!!! When I thought only a couple were going to hatch... More good eggs than I thought! Also, does that mean it's possible for eggs to fool you? Can an egg be good but look white? That HAS to be what happened. I looked at those plants over and over and there were NOT that many clear eggs with eyes looking back at me... Hmmm.

I would post pics but Cojiro is so fast now he won't let me take his picture!!!

I am throughly convinced that what you are seeing is eyes. A good friend has shown me that. But, to tell the truth, I have never seen these eyes in any of my eggs. My eggs are not normally yellowish - they are clear or white. The white ones hatch, too. But since there are sooooo many clear ones that you cannot see, I think that you may underestimate exactly how many you have.

In my last round, I thought I did not get as many as I had hoped, but the count was well towards 500+ fry. A lot of those were white eggs - and they hatched just fine.

Feed him, and when you have fed him, feed him again. The fish can only grow as big as the amount of food that goes into them. Without the food, there can be no growth. So feed, feed, feed, feed and feed again!

:)

Guest Halloween

I've been feeding him 4 times a day, once when I wake up between 7:30 and 9:30, once between 2 and 3pm, once at around 10ish and again between 2 and 3am. Can I feed as often as I like? He's being fed Hikari First Bites. I have the liquid fry food from Wardly but I don't know if he's eating it. Is he old enough to eat crushed fish pellets yet? He hatched on Valentines day... Also, the amount of food I put in... He's the only fry in a half full 10 gallon tank with an airstone. Even just dipping my finger in the powder food seems like a lot. He wouldn't eat him self to death would he??? I don't want to feed him to much in one meal.

Well, you do not want to feed him so much that most of the food goes to waste and make a mess in the tank - that is true. BUt I try to keep food swimming in the tank nearly all the time for the first two weeks. Your little guy - at two weeks of age - should be plenty big enough for Daphnia and first bites and crumbled flakes and the sifted pieces of spirilana flakes and such. By 3-4 weeks you can go to the crumbled pieces sifted from the bottom of the pellet container, frozen brine shrimp (not baby), frozen krill, daphnia, crumbled flakes and gel food heavy on the greens. A piece of gel, dropped into the bottom of the tank will provide a nice clean meal for many hours. I drop a few in whenever I am going to be gone - and let them work on it as they wish for hours.

:)

Guest Halloween

Oh wow, thanks for all that. Looks like I have a few supplies to go get haha.

On a slightly sadder note I've just discovered that a few of my fancy fry have fungus :( Or maybe it isn't fungus? It's white fluffy stuff :( I fear the the fry that have equal parts body and equal parts fluff are going to die. What can I do about this fluffy stuff? I've already done a 50% water change on the fry table (with a turkey baster and 3 oz cup) and I added a tiny bit of the only medicine I have that MIGHT work. Maroxy. I need the 'blue' stuff though don't I? Can fry be saved from fungus and other growths or once they have it they're done for??? I feel so bad for them. All of them are still alive but a couple of them have it really bad... Should I cull the ones who have fluffy masses bigger than themselves???

I hate to say it, but yes. The sooner you remove the fungus, the better for the remaining fry. :( I am sorry.

What are your water parameters? If you are feeding fry, you are going to get ammonia -from uneaten food to the waste the fry produce. Yet - you will not have a strong cycle. I usually start a sponge filter going before hatching - and let it grow into the needs of the tank - nice and slow over several weeks. This does not take away the need forwater changes.

If you can, since you have so few fry, I even suggest carefully lifting them out with a cup - no swishing and chasing - just lifting. Place them - do not pour - into a bucket of fresh water (parameters matched on what counts) and change out 100% of the water. Squeeze out your sponge filter if you have one going. If you do not - now is time - you could even set it running with a power head. My 6 week old fry just graduated to an Emperor 400 - with a screen. The younger set stll have a power head on their sponge filter. :)

If the tank is kept clean and in good parameters, you should be able to stop the fungus in the rest of the fry.

Guest Halloween

daryl, should I cull ALL the fry that have even a little fungus on them??? I've gotton the really bad cases out and I'm wondering about the ones that have just a tiny bit... Those ones seem so alive and are putting up a huge fight... It's so sad!

I don't have a sponge filter. I'm assuming my lfs might. I'll have to get ahold of the manager tomorrow, he's nice, if he doesn't have one he'll point me in the direction of one!!! Thank you for all your help so far, I'll edit this post with my water params or maybe just post another reply.

Edited by Halloween

CAn you get a hold of any acriflavine or methelene blue? How big are the fry? If they are big enough, you could put them into a bit of salt for a bit. Maybe.

If your water parameters are out of whack then you have bigger worries. I would be concerned over the fungus transfering to more fry. The water vector gets greater in poor water. Maybe pull ALL the fry that show fungus, but keep them in a separate volume of water if you want to try tosave them.

Guest Halloween

I went a head and put the fungus clear tab in. I'm just guessing that my fry container is 5 gallons so I put about half of one tab in. The water isn't very blue and was wondering if I have enough in the water. If this fungus clear stuff will do the trick I want to make sure I use as much as I can to cure this fungus. MOST of the fry have SOME fungus. Some really bad and others you can hardly see it but it's there :( Let me know, thanks.

Guest Halloween

Another update on the fungus fry.

I culled ALL of the fry that fungus. I have 6 of 40 left :(:(:( Two of them are very big and strong. The other 4 are very small and lay at the bottom :( I think they're either coming down with fungus or are just sickly to begin with. I have a feeling they won't make it. But I have high hopes for the strong two!!! I have names picked out for them. I can tell them apart now but who knows when they get bigger. The beefier of the two (which happens to be a teensy bit shorter than the other)'s name is Fonzie and the slightly longer ones' name is Shakey-Fry. Hope they pull thorugh!!!!!!!!

Cojiro is doing well. He has an attitude as big as New Mexico. I think he thinks he's king of the world. I'll let him think it. Becuase I know that he's only king of the 10 gallon tank. And there's only 5 gallons of water in it... It's ok, his ego needs a little help. He had 20 other brothers and sisters who were as strong or stronger than him and they all bit the dust.

Edited by Halloween

I hope all continues to go well for you! It is always a sad day when a little one does not make it. :(

When possible, show us pictures of your pride and joy! :)

Guest Halloween

Cojiro has fungus!!!!!!!!!!! >:0 I'm making a post in the disease section for this one only becuase I know it will get a faster answer!

Guest Halloween

fry3.jpg

This is Cojiro, a day or so before fungus!

fry2.jpg

1 of the 6 fancy fry. They don't have funus as far as I know but their 34 brothers and sisters did so they get meds too.

fry1.jpg

Another fancy fry. These two fancy fry are the biggest of the 6.

How old are they?

Poor fishy I hope he recovers illness is bad for such little fishies.

I'm down to my last fryling. Hopefully he will be a "Miracle fry"

Good luck, I don't know much about treating frys :(

Guest Halloween

All fry are dead. I had 4 really healthy fry but then I did a water change and they all started to float at the surface and have little bursts of energy and tried to swim down, exactly as if they had swim bladder disease. Then, they died.

I am trying again. The fancies keep giving me eggs. Although the mother of these eggs is a little hazy. I'm sure it's Calcifer again but now Sai is chasing another female, Holly. My white Oranda with one eye. Hope it's Calcifer though. I want baby lions!

Guest Halloween
: ( I'm so sorry all your fry died :(

I was hoping they might live... Oh well. 2 new ones have hatched and I see at least 2 more that will hatch probably tomorrow.

Guest Halloween

Second round of fry seem good still. I haven't killed ANY of them. :D I'm not holding my breath though, last time around all the fry were still good too so. I'd say a month from now if they're still alive that I've done good.

remember - feed feed feed feed feed them and then, when you are all done, change the water and feed them again!

Good luck! I hope you have great success this time! :)