Live Food List For Gold Fish

32Bit_Fish

There are risks to feeding live foods and there are live foods that I would never feed my fish. But I feel that there is no risk (at all) in feeding brine shrimp. I also feel that earth/red worms are safe and carry no risk. My fry get brine shrimp and chopped red worms when they get big enough to eat it. Then Omega One. The adults usaully only get red worms when I'm conditioning them for breeding. But one of my goldfish doesn't like red worms and won't eat them.

I beleive that brine shrimp is 100% safe and red worms are completely safe as long as their not living in polluted soil. I do agree that other live foods can have some risk. Some more than others.

I bought some live plants at an aquarium socitety auction a few days ago. I am conserned about the risk of putting these plants with my fish. I have the plants floating in a 10 gallon tank by themselves and so far I've seen a couple small snails, one gammarus pulex and what might be a planarian.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think I will use the Hikari frozen blood worms and brine shrimp as the main diet for my fish. So I dont need to worry about the swimming blader problem with the fish.

I have a can of brine shrimp eggs in the frig and it has been there for almost 2 yrs. Not sure if the eggs can still hatch. :yeah:

But the process of hatching brine shrimp is pain staking slow..

I use the Hikari freeze dried blood worms. The frozen stuff gets expensive.

Your brine shrimp eggs should still hatch. I've hatched eggs that were older. But the % that hatch starts to drop as the eggs get older. I never felt that the process of hatching brine shrimp was pain staking slow. I hatch mine in quart jars. I fill the jar with water throw in an air stone. Add salt and eggs then the next day their hatched and ready to feed. The higher the temp the faster they hatch.

I use the Hikari freeze dried blood worms. The frozen stuff gets expensive.

Your brine shrimp eggs should still hatch. I've hatched eggs that were older. But the % that hatch starts to drop as the eggs get older. I never felt that the process of hatching brine shrimp was pain staking slow. I hatch mine in quart jars. I fill the jar with water throw in an air stone. Add salt and eggs then the next day their hatched and ready to feed. The higher the temp the faster they hatch.

I am going to have two fish only so it won't be too expensive with frozen food. Specially when I am not planning feed my fish a lot. I might try to hatch the baby brine shrimp when I have time. But if I can get live baby brine shrimp without the hatching part would be better. :rolleyes:

I beleive that brine shrimp is 100% safe

Are you talking about brines that you cultivated on your own?

Yes, I'm mainly talking about the brine shrimp I hatch. I have bought live adult brine shrimp a few times because I believe their safe. But they get expensive and I don't think my bigger fish really need them.

I beleive that brine shrimp is 100% safe

Are you talking about brines that you cultivated on your own?

Yes, I'm mainly talking about the brine shrimp I hatch. I have bought live adult brine shrimp a few times because I believe their safe. But they get expensive and I don't think my bigger fish really need them.

When I talk about the risks, I mean live foods that one gets at the LFS. By cultivating your own, you decrease the risk tremendously. However nothing is 100% safe when it comes to any living organism. Even dry foods aren't 100% safe technically.

I meant if I feed them a lot with the frozen food, would it be a problem?

Would the fish get swimming bladder problem or even died from over feeding?

No it shouldn't make any difference. For example I used to feed them frozen blood worms(Hikari as it is certified parasite-free). I would just defrost a cube in the fridge and just dump it in. The fishes would go crazy chasing the bloodworms. I don't feed them that anymore because one of my fish is handicapped and it would not be fair to him as he will not be able to get to the food as quickly as the other two.

It's really hard for people not feed their fish too much. It's always fun to watch your fish during the frenzy feeding time. I really don't know how much should I feed my fish with the frozen food since the frozen food is easier for fish to digest and it won't expand in the water.

I heard gold fish could kept eating until they died, is it true? I know tropical fish are not like that, they will stop eating when they get a bloated full stomach.

I've fed my goldfish more than they can eat lots of times. They stop eating when they get full. I just up the water changes when I over feed them.

When I talk about the risks, I mean live foods that one gets at the LFS. By cultivating your own, you decrease the risk tremendously. However nothing is 100% safe when it comes to any living organism. Even dry foods aren't 100% safe technically.

I think you worry too much. Nothing we eat is 100% safe either. You don't even want too know what goes on with the food in restaurants sometimes before they serve it too us.

I've fed my goldfish more than they can eat lots of times. They stop eating when they get full. I just up the water changes when I over feed them.

Do you feed your fish dry food? and you over feed them with it? Did your fish had any swimming bladder problems with the over feeding?

I've seen so many posts advice people not to feed gold fish so much cuz they just wont stop eating until they die. I guess it is not necessary true, uh???

I've over fed them with live food and (unsoaked) pellets but not at the same time. When it's live. It's with brine shrimp with the fry and red worms with the bigger young and adults. When they get full they stop eating. I have comets and black moors. I've had no problems with either.

If your worried about over eating. Limit the amount of food you give them.

Do you feed your fish dry food? and you over feed them with it? Did your fish had any swimming bladder problems with the over feeding?

I've seen so many posts advice people not to feed gold fish so much cuz they just wont stop eating until they die. I guess it is not necessary true, uh???

for the most part, when i feed my fish "too much"... i find that food goes in one end and out the other. i just expect to find them rooting around the bottom of the tank later and they'll finish up whatever was left from before. that and i'll expect to find lots more goldfish sausages to clean up after. :P

so i don't think they'll DIE, but they'll probably get pretty bloated from so much food consumption, that and if you don't change the water then they have the possibility of dying from lack of clean living conditions.

so what's the thing that so many people talking about fish floating around (swimming bladder problem) when they are being over fed with the dry fish pellets?

Accroding to those articles/postings, the unsoaked dry fish food gets expanded in fish's stomach. Hence it creates gas causing swimming bladder problem?

I guess I dont need to worry about that since I am just going to use frozen food as main diet for my fish. All I need to make sure the water is clean when I over feed them.

You know I love to watch fish eat, so the chances of over feeding my fish are very very high.. :D

so what's the thing that so many people talking about fish floating around (swimming bladder problem) when they are being over fed with the dry fish pellets?

Accroding to those articles/postings, the unsoaked dry fish food gets expanded in fish's stomach. Hence it creates gas causing swimming bladder problem?

I guess I dont need to worry about that since I am just going to use frozen food as main diet for my fish. All I need to make sure the water is clean when I over feed them.

You know I love to watch fish eat, so the chances of over feeding my fish are very very high.. :D

i don't think it's so much a matter of over feeding. it's the fact that with dry foods there are lots of air particles that get trapped and so when you feed them if they aren't presoaked when the goldfish gobbles them down the air bubbles are released in the GI tract. so then due to all these air bubbles that get trapped in their scrunched up mess of intestines, the fish can sometimes get floaty.

this also happens sometimes with floating foods when the goldfish gulp in too much air.

SBD isn't only caused by feeding dry foods. there are many different causes, and not ridding the dry foods of air pockets can be one of the many. :)

I'm live in China now. Current Chinese fish farm's main fishfood is dry foods. Live foods only for high quality and expensive goldfish variety. tubifex worms is most amount feed because it's inexpensive. but we know them have some harmful for goldfish, so feeding few amount. them only balance for dry foods.