TheFishMan

Fish Ideas For A Pond Maybe....

Just wondering if my fantail would get along alright with the following :

Common Carp

Mirror Carp

Crucian Carp

Roach

Bream

According to sources, common carp, mirror carp & bream all grow huge and therefore not suitable.

Roach & crucian carp are smaller, but still larger than your fantail.

In the end, I don't know about much about British fishes but unless your fantail is a large one, I'd give all of them a definite miss.

Yes i know, the record for common/mirror carp in england is over 80lb, but they grow quite slowly, so once the got over about 1lb then i would hand then over to my friend who has a much bigger pond, bream can grow to about 15lb aswell, but the same, cuz i can buy them both in 2-3inch sizes near me. Record roach are about nearly 4lb, but that is quite rare, 1.5lb is expectable, crucian carp grow to about the same but 2lbs is normal. I was just wondering, if while they were small i could keep them with my fantail and veiltale, which are both abot 3.5inch?

Oh and may i add, my fantail is very bulky, and is about 2.5 inches tall, so at first when i got bream of carp or whatever they would be about the same sized. And also Im thinking of ony getting carp and stuff small, and just letting the grow, so i wont be putting bigger fish in the pond.

Hmm up to u then. I have no idea if any of those fish are aggressive.

Keeping a fantail with a common carp would be the same as keeping it with a koi.

I assume your fantail does not have a wen? I had a koi that attacked my oranda in with it. Had to move the oranda out.

Personally if you want fish to keep the fantial company I see it as a perfect opportunity to buy more goldies!!

mmm... wouldn't the fantail eventually be eaten? swallowed whole? :unsure:

I assume your fantail does not have a wen? I had a koi that attacked my oranda in with it. Had to move the oranda out.

Personally if you want fish to keep the fantial company I see it as a perfect opportunity to buy more goldies!!

No thanks. Dont like goldies that much, I ove my fantail, but their isnt enough variety for me. And also keeping them in a pond would mean i would have to bring them in in the winter.

Dont like goldies that much, I ove my fantail, but their isnt enough variety for me.

You must not know goldfish very well. There is more variety in goldfish than any other fish. I can name a dozen different varieties of goldfish without having to think about it. But there's like a hundred different varieties of goldfish.

If you don't like goldfish that's fine. But you can't say that there's not enough variety.

And also keeping them in a pond would mean i would have to bring them in in the winter.

That would depend on the kind of goldfish you have and the size of your pond. I keep common and comet goldfish in my pond year around. Here we get temps of below 0F and the pond is covered with ice for most of the winter.

No thanks. Dont like goldies that much, I ove my fantail, but their isnt enough variety for me. And also keeping them in a pond would mean i would have to bring them in in the winter.

Most fantail varieties here in the US would not appreciate being out in a pond in winter. Option if the pond is smaller is to cover and heat it in winter.

Carp of any kind are not slow growing fish, just like koi. Unless you have a large pond I would not recommend them. Minimum 1000 usg