Meet Critter

13vi

he's not a shrimp, he's a crayfish

they sell them as "freshwater blue lobsters" in most pet shops

people put them in their community tanks, and they happily go about catching and eating all their fish, so that the people will come back and buy more fish

i, however, have outsmarted them by giving him his own tank

:joke

people put them in their community tanks, and they happily go about catching and eating all their fish

Oh yes, now I remember seeing them before :) I was thinking of getting one and the employee at the lfs told me just what you said, that they'd eat all the fish in my tank. Very cool looking little guy though :D

usually i break off little peices of algae tabs or sinking wafers and give him that

i also give him golfish crisps or a little shred of blanched spinach sometimes

one of the pictures i posted is me handfeeding him :food

i won't be able to do that when he gets bigger

I've seen those at my lfs before, they get really beatiful neon blue coloring as they mature. Very cool little Critter!

i've heard that the blue is a result of some kind of deficiancy brought on by living in aquariums

i've also heard that a meat diet will turn them blue, and a veggie diet will turn them red

don't know if any of that is true

(copied and pasted from fishforums.net)

Common Name(s): Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster, Electric Blue Crayfish, Everglade Crayfish, Florida Crayfish

Scientific Name: Procamberus alleni

Family: Parastacidae

Origin: Florida, Everglades,USA; frequently farm raised

Maximum Size: Up to 5-7 inches

Minimum Aquarium Size: 20 gallons

Care: The Blue Lobster is really not a lobster at all, but, a crayfish. It is a stunningly blue color with, on some, pink spots. This crayfish is easy to care for and can live up to 5 years under good conditions. It prefers a cave or good areas to hide in the tank and as it gets older, becomes somewhat nocturnal. They reportedly like to burrow, but, mine prefers a corner under the heater. The Blue Lobster will molt as it grows, so, you shouldn't be shocked if you see two of them in your tank one morning. They are very territorial and more than one should not be placed in the tank unless the tank is large and they can find areas on opposite sides of the tank. Note of interest: the lobster appears blue since it lacks a particular gene.

Feeding: The Blue Lobster is an omnivore and will eat almost anything. They will eat pelleted food and small slow fish (see below)

Breeding: These crayfish can be bred. Sexing crayfish is reporetedly easy; the males' claws are generally larger and more elongated and if you turn him upside down he has two claspers near his vent that look like hockey sticks. The females' claws are shorter and more rounded and she lacks the claspers. Eggs are kept under the females tail and hatch as complete copies of the adults in about 4 weeks. The babies will eat each other if not isolated.

Comments: CAUTION: This species is sold quite commonly at the lfs and online. It is frequently listed as semi-aggressive. The Blue Lobster is VERY CAPABLE of catching and eating bottom dwellers in your tank. I have seen this crayfish also climb plants and it can move very quickly. It SHOULD be placed in a SPECIES tank. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that your Blue Lobster will be different and lead a completely peaceful life. If hungry, it can be opportunistic and you could lose your most valued fish.

• 3 weeks later...
I've seen those at my lfs before, they get really beatiful neon blue coloring as they mature. Very cool little Critter!

i've heard that the blue is a result of some kind of deficiancy brought on by living in aquariums

i've also heard that a meat diet will turn them blue, and a veggie diet will turn them red

don't know if any of that is true

It depends on what colour substrate you have. In Oz i have caught blue yabbies in the creek behind my school. They are usually brown in the wild because of the natural mud bottom, but in aquariums there are all sorts of different colours which can be achieved. Brown, blue, green, deep blue almost purple. Not sure if it is true but i have heard of them being pink. When they molt the new shell grows to match the colour in their environment kind of like a chameleon.

Edited by dan in aus