Funky Tank Smell?

Okay, I've got a problem. I do regular water changes in the goldfish tanks -- like 50 percent or more per week. I rinse the filter media and change filter pads every two weeks. I just did a water change on my 37 gallon show tank on Saturday. It has three fancy tail goldfish. I have Eclipse filtration on that tank.

Anyway, two days after the WC I smell something funky. It's sort of a gaseous smell coming from the tank.... I also have a 75 gallon tank in the fish room where I am growing out 7 fancy tails. That tank has two HOB filters, but when it gets close to the weekly water change I often smell funk coming from the tank. It smells like a marina down there......

I use PRIME which has a sulfur smell to it and I often double dose with the Prime at the WC because it neutralizes ammonia and nitrates.

Anyway, do you ever have a funky smell coming from your tanks??? What can be done about it???

I get a funky smell from the goldie tank, but not any of the rest (unless the snails go on poop-duty) and I think it comes from the Prime. I'm not going to stop using it tho, it does too good keeping my params in check and I don't get as paranoid about missing a water change.

I use Prime & my tank never smells "funky." Do you think some humidity got into the nearby walls and maybe that's causing the funk?

Gosh I hope not. I aired out the house today and opened up the top on the tank and the smell is dissipated now..... Still it bothers me that it only happens on the goldfish tanks.... I think it may go away when I upgrade the filtration.

I use Prime & my tank never smells "funky." Do you think some humidity got into the nearby walls and maybe that's causing the funk?

Gosh I hope not. I aired out the house today and opened up the top on the tank and the smell is dissipated now..... Still it bothers me that it only happens on the goldfish tanks.... I think it may go away when I upgrade the filtration.

I guess you just need more aeration where the tank is. :( Good luck!

I just wanted to add, I don't really have a top on my tank. The only thing above it is one of those stand-alone lighting systems that don't require a hood. So perhaps the reason I don't develop a funk is b/c the surface is well aerated.

Good luck on your funky woes!

Try adding new carbon to your filters. :)

Is carbon something that should be replaced regularly? I know it says to replace it every month or so on the filter instructions, but they could also just want more money. Just wondering, because I'm starting to notice a strange smell as well and I've had the same carbon for about 3 months now. Maybe that's my problem?

Carbon doesn't really have to be replaced, it will just turn into a biological filter once it 'dies' since it has decent surface area. I like to keep mine changed out regularly tho, and I do mine with every water change.

I've heard Carbon has a life span of two to three weeks once they are started filtering the water.

Carbon absorbs the bad stuffs such as the chemical in the water and it will dump all the nasty stuffs back into the tank if the carbon is not being replaced after its life. If this is true, then carbon needs to be replaced periodically.

I use carbon to remove medications in the tank, this is the only time I use them in my filter.

I always imagine carbon like a tall glass. Pour a stream of water into this glass and it will eventually fill up and not be able to hold any more water. At this point the glass needs to be emptied so that it can be useful again. Well, the carbon is the glass and the nasties it absorbs is the water. Once it reaches it's limit it's time to empty the glass by changing the carbon out. :)

I always imagine carbon like a tall glass. Pour a stream of water into this glass and it will eventually fill up and not be able to hold any more water. At this point the glass needs to be emptied so that it can be useful again. Well, the carbon is the glass and the nasties it absorbs is the water. Once it reaches it's limit it's time to empty the glass by changing the carbon out. :)

:exactly