Snakehead

ok i know it is WAY off sbjects....but im watching national geographics...and there is a show about the snakehead fish...HOLY COW! these things are monsters...here is a pic

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...eries/invasive/

and a blog for more info

http://ngcblog.nationalgeographic.com/ngcb...ead_frenzy.html

they are saying they are breeding all over the east coast of US.... can live out of water for 3 days and "walk" on land...creepy! check it out!

yeah the last 5 mins stated that an asian americn confesed that he bought two illegally for an aliment stew for his sick sister and she got better by the time the fish arrived, so as tradition, he released them into a river for spiritiual reasons....~sighs~ see things like this is what leads to crazy things in our water. now that explains why at the customs boarders by they are so picky what u can bring into the US....these fish started out in asia..no ay they could have migrated all that way to the US....

yeah i thought the babies were adorable too, i wonder what if they just killed them all when they caught them.

it's sad to think about.

but could you really imagine keeping one of those giants in your house? i'd be constantly afraid of hearing a big crack and waking up to find the fish in bed with me.

haha. spooky.

and yeah, shari, i didn't think they could, i'm glad somebody confessed, at least. now they just have to find a way to control their populations, if it's possible at this stage.

Edited by xemptybrkneyesx

they say they spawn on average 15,000 eggs 5 times a year....think about how many of them suckers u need to kill....on scientist killed off a whole pond of fish just to get rid of them and 4 years later they showed back up...this ws in a pond...now they are in the rivers o stopping them now. VA Tech is tracking the migrating patterns now

oh yeah i head that about the spawning, and was like oh my gosh.

that's a ton of fish in a very little amount of time.

i read that the same thing has been happening here in the great lakes, with lampreys?

it's aweful when you think about how many animals are already endangered of extinction because of people, here we go adding more.

but could you really imagine keeping one of those giants in your house? i'd be constantly afraid of hearing a big crack and waking up to find the fish in bed with me.

I thought about buying one when they were available. But I knew that they grew larger than what I wanted to deal with.

It was interesting when they showed the baby snakeheads bit the goldfish in half. Then think, when the snakehead gets bigger you might be next.

I thought about buying one when they were available. But I knew that they grew larger than what I wanted to deal with.

It was interesting when they showed the baby snakeheads bit the goldfish in half. Then think, when the snakehead gets bigger you might be next.

haha. thanks for the visual, now i'm going to be having nightmare for a month and three days.

but when they ate that goldfish, ah i nearly cried. it was aweful. i hate the thought of live feeder fish, and people who get off to watching them suffer that way. not that everyone enjoys that, i know with certain fish you don't always have a choice, and in the wild of course, but the people who do it for the fun of it, make me super angry.

:krazy:

Edited by xemptybrkneyesx

I never cared to feed any of my fish other fish. I tried it a couple times but didn't like it. So I don't do it. But it's nature so seeing it doesn't bother me. Sometimes you don't have choice and goldfish are always available and cheap.

i wonder what if they just killed them all when they caught them

Good plan but as others have said, it's probably too late now :(

Like most intorduced species, once they're present they're not going anywhere.

Very cool looking fish. I'd love to see one in a tank......not my backyard chasing the dog or something though!!

A snakehead was caught in a river in the UK recently.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?i...mp;in_a_source=

It's scary to think of the deverstanting effect that this fish has on the envoroment, I really do hope that this is the only one that was released in the UK.

Edited by Peanuts