Parasite Clear And Snails?

ShariLynn757

hey guys!!!! just got a new plant today! and the lfs tank that i got it from had tiny snails ALL in it.....so doing some research throughout the treads, and reading about disinfecting them....i couldnt find how to get rid of these snails....i read that paraiste clear will get rid of them, is this true?

A bleach dip will kill the live snails but not the eggs so if you went that way i would do bleach dips weekly for a minimum of a month. That is why it is important to qt plants there is a pinned thread about disinfecting plants check that out :)

thanks Dan,

I was reading the pinned post, and wasnt sure if the bleach killed the snails or not....i was also reading post from a few years agao, and it never siad weather or not bleach killed the pest snails....right now i have the elodea in a bucket of water, just did a bleach dip, rinsed well, going to do another dip tuesday...does that sound good?

PP will kill the snails and their eggs.

I use it as a disinfectant for equipment, plants, and it can also come in handy with new/sick fish.

According to this website, 10 mg/L for 10 minutes will kill snails/eggs. I do this anyway, and probably overdose them, but I've never had snails/outbreak of disease right after adding plants. [:

Bleach can be too harsh for plants and may cause them to lose their leaves.

Edited by Earth!Mother

bleach too harsh for anacharis? i've read that they are pretty hardy plants....am i gonna kill my plants now?

Bleach is not too harsh the normal ratio is 1 part bleach to 19 parts water but you can water it down more to 1 part bleach to 32 parts water :)

Edited by dan in aus

• 1 month later...
Guest DoodleBug

Parasite Clear used to work for me, without harming my plants....until they changed the formula. The new formula doesn't kill the snails. Now I have pest snails in my tank that are making me crazy. Hope you find something that works.

Now I feel crazy. I want snails and many others don't.

I actually buy snails for my aquarium with my Goldfish. Snails IMO are a rather important part of the planted tank. They help eat the mulm that may be missed during a normal cleaning. They eat very little but still eat algae. They eat left over food. They eat poo.

The only draw backs to them IMO are that they love to run around on the glass and may carry diseases. IMO it is extremely rare for them to bring a disease into a healthy tank as long as you QT them. Trumpet snails IMO are a life saver in a planted tank.

James

Guest DoodleBug

I actually do like snails, but I'm picky about what kind. "Pest" snails just multiply like crazy and eat my plants. I really don't like it when they eat my plants. I do keep Oliver Nerite Snails and I really like them. They help clean up the algae and plant debris but they don't seem to damage my live plants and they don't reproduce and take over.

I think I might actually be pest snail free now!!! That might be wishful thinking, but I don't think I've seen any over a week. They just disappeared all of a sudden. I've been lightly salting my tank, and I suspect it might have finished off the snails. And the good news is, Nerites like salt, so they are still happy. Some of my plants are starting to look pretty unhappy though. I fear the salt might have something to do with that, so I think I'm going to quit doing it. I bought Permoxyn from Goldfish Connection and I'm going to try cleaning all my new plants with that. With some luck, maybe I can go back to having only Nerites in my tank. I can hope, anyway.