Woke Up Whole Tank Almost Dead

rob123

That's the cutest little corycat!!!!!

Kristi- yours are just adoreable there.

so if i pu a few plants in there instead they will be occupied with that instead of gravel.

You got it! :exactly Plants and ornaments also can be useful for bbs to colonise. A little.

If you want to get plants though you must make sure they are quarantined first. They can carry snails or

parasites.

i think im going to remove gravel on the next water change tommorow,

so you suggest taking all gravel out with a strainer and then suck up all the garbage with the vacuum.

and when i suck up do i suck up all the visible junk,

do i just keep doing my usual water checks and changes the put them back in that main tank in day after tommorow?

that's right :D ! Easy huh!

And then begin your "cycle" over.....

Hi Shari. P.C will kill snails probably yes. But the acriflavine in it will also damage the plants.

I wouldn't risk that. You can use salt or PP. Alum or bleach easier.

Bleach: One part plain old bleach to 20 parts water. Put it in a bucket and dip the plants for about 2 or 3 minutes (small plants 2 larger may need 3). Watch the clock. Some plants may not do well in bleach but I have found anubias and other common aquarium plants do just fine and bounce back. Any tiny snails will float out and most probably be dead in the water.

Make sure you rinse well. Swish them in water and add Prime or de-chlorinator- masses- to detoxify any leftover bleach.

Alum: (aluminium sulfate) You can get this at the grocers, just ask. It's one tablespoon to one gallon of water. BUT if you use this you will need to saok the plants for at least 4 days to kill snails and all critters. Eggs and prasites should die quicker.

Again, rinse well.

Rob, I think your fish will be happy in perfect water. Gravel or no...whatever that takes :)

Hey Trinks,

Should he put some gravel in some netting or something - to help with the cycling process? Or would the small amount of bb's in there not make much difference? (Unless of course they've been chucked already, then it's too late. :) )

Rob, I don't have gravel in my 55 gallon. I have flat marbles and some clear stones. It's SO easy to clean! I don't worry about my fish getting gravel stuck in her mouth anymore! :rolleyes:

I wish you the best with your fish! They're certainly keeping you busy. :blink:

Debbie

thanks, they are keeping me busy,

ive taken all gravel out and are in the process of filtering all the junk out of water,

still need another water change and a few more filter cycles till i can put them back in....

it looks like a mirror finish the ground and seems to be alot cleaner already with nothing to hide.

just hope i dont stuff up my good bacteria taking the gravel out... im never gunna go back to gravel now...

Debbie has a good point about the gravel containing bbs (as well as gunk) if you haven't chucked it. It is worth trying to save some of it and netting it and laying it on the bottom for a few weeks..easy to take out and may help with the new cycle. Dang I should have mentioned it earlier, I suppose its all dry now?

You still have the media from the filter going though, I hope that was just rinsed and put back...right? That's the overhead, original filter.

Yes those are not bad but they have to stay there. The first few days they may, its after about 3 days they start to creep up in a new set up. Keep watching and if the amm and nitrites go up any, you must change out water till they read zero again.

What do you mean pH is lowering? Did you check several times? That's not so good. pH should stay the same.

A quick fix is adding very tiny amounts of baking soda if you have any of that in the house (it's also called bicarbonate of soda). It raises pH slightly for a short time.

i mean ive been adding ph down slowly to get it bcak to zero, first reading was about 7.3 now its around 7.1 /.2 after ive added the ph down a few times,

the tanks been runnin completety cleaned out and gravel free for about 2 days now nearly 3 with the 2 filters and huge air stone compressor runnnin 2 stones and only a bit of driftwood, it looks unreal the bottom is spotless and looks like a mirror.

my other guys are still in the part=time tank and are fine togeather.

ill be doing 1 more water change today 40% and a 50% change to their med tank clean the filters and if readings are just as good they will be returnin home to there new pad tommorow lol.

i think there may be a bit of a difference in temp as the smaller one may be a bit warmer, and other hints you can give me for returning them to the tank tommorow?

thanks trinket

When I said the readings should be zero, that did not include pH.

PH should stay be between 7 and 8.

Ammonia ( NH3 and NH4) should be 0 always.

Nitrite (NO2) should be 0 always.

Nitrates (NO3) can be between 0-20

Aim for these readings please.

When you return the fish you should acclimate them. When you do the water change in the tub, 50%, take that 50% from the new tank.

And then refill the tank that amount. You need to be careful about mainly 2 things with different water. One is that the temperare is the same and one is that the pH is the same.

The more the difference, the slower the acclimating must be.

ok,

yes i know about the ph baing at 7,

ive always been taught that it should be neutral at 7.0 didnt know about 7-8

all other readings are 0

ill do the water climating tommorow in there tank as ive already cleaned both tanks.

then ill put them in day after tommorow,

and yes the ph in both tanks is almost identical its just the temp is a bit off.

:)

hey trinket since my last loss of all my big guys i want to a few more, i only have the little albino and 3 x 8cm or so goldies in my new 126 litre tank with 2 filters and 2 airstones. can i put some more in?

and im looking for something different, maybe slightly tropical, are there any other you can think of

that would suit my goldies?

the stranger looking the better, i like character. lol

In all honesty you would be best to "cycle" this tank first. "Cycling" is the name used for the process of getting those good bbs in enough numbers in the filters to manage the waste. It is going to take several weeks.

During that time, you are going to see some spikes of ammonia and nitrites as everything settles and the bbs begin to re-colonise.

It is not a good time to introduce new fish because of these swings that weaken the fishes immunity.

How about, you spend a few weeks having a browse of pics here at kokos and see what kind of fish you like the look of. Maybe your tank can manage one more goldie..one only...no more unless they are really tiny trop type fish like the albino one you have that can go safely with goldies..I'd have to check on types that can...The more fish, the more hard maintenance becomes and overcrowding is one of the main causes of disease and other horrors.

It's just not worth the heart-ache really. Also, if you were to get a new fish, you will have to use that tub you have there as a quarantine and keep him separate for at least 3 weeks to treat for flukes and parasites before adding him to the main tank. New fish bring disease and if you don't QT them you are going to infect your other fish even if the new fish looks healthy because he may be a carrier of disease and have no symptoms himself but be able to infect your whole tank. It can be a total nightmare not QTing new fish!

ohh i understand trinket,

it can get sooo complicated...

i think i just mite add some small i dont know what there called feeded fish, if they arent salt water,

and no obviously not for food, just for a bit of difference in the tank in a few weeks, if there OK for my golides.

ok there all back in the main tank and loving it,

all levels are good at the moment,

i will be doing 40% water changes evry 2nd day and filters,

how long will i have to keep that up for if all the ph no2 no3 etc are at the required spot and seem to be staying there.

also how often do i have to do this cycle and how often do i need to be doing a complete 100% water change after the tank goes back to regular once a week cleans?

thnks again

hi rob, Im having some bad internet probs and cant get on long now- at work-and may not get on this weekend either, I promise Ill check back on you here on Tuesday as the new modem will get here then...meanwhile keep doing 40% changes till then and if you have any other water Qs I should start a new thread in the Water Quality forum where youll get help fast.

Im so glad your fish are in there and happy. No need to do a 100change just yet, just check params and pH every day if you can and if you see any ammonia or nitrites youll need to change out water to get the readings to 0. It will be about a month of second daily 40% w/cs I expect. Hang in there. You are doing really great for them!! :)

Hi Rob, these questions?

how long will i have to keep that up for if all the ph no2 no3 etc are at the required spot and seem to be staying there.

also how often do i have to do this cycle and how often do i need to be doing a complete 100% water change after the tank goes back to regular once a week cleans?

You are aiming to get to the end of what is called the nitrogen cycle. It begins with ammonia, moves in to nitrites and finishes up at nitrates. So you will need to get a nitrate kit (I think you have one- it's NO3).

As soon as you see any nitrAtes at all above zero PLUS zero for ammonia (NH3 and NH4)and nitrites (NO2) you can be sure you have a complete nitrogen cycle.

After that 50% once weekly changes should be okay. You will still need to do a 100% change out once a month and keep rinsing the filter media in old tank water every 2-4 weeks depending on feeding and temperature levels.