Question About Breeding Stars

Trinket

I 'm confused. Is it true that males of breeding age will aslo have a line of pimples/stars on the first spine of the dorsal and pectoral? I noticed Anette's Belly fish (confirmed female) has those. My males have them there but not my females. Then I have seen another of Anette's fish (Gullet) had breeding stars at one point on the gill covers and she was a she :hmm

If a fish is in breeding mode (male or female) is it possible to see stars anywhere? An excess of hormones or something?

Almost all my fish has those spots on the dorsal fin.

My males have BIIG pimples on their gill covers and the first ray of pectoral fins.

And yes, I have seen breeding stars on females too...

Maybe it is because my fish are a bit weird, like their mommy... :rofl

But I know they are females because they get chased and there are eggs in the tank!

Another thing to look for on the pectoral fins with males is the very first ray is alot thicker than on females. This *usually* goes with the white dots. It's very obvious with bigger fish. Here's the best photo I could dig up in my collection--had a different one floating in my memory-computer doesn't have it though.

post-30-1203177129_thumb.jpg