Mr. Miagui's Torn Fin

:( I noticed mr.miagui's sore fin had started to look that it's going to tear I have him in Q and I was wondering if I should keep him there permenatly. will his ripped fin heal or will it always be ripped? I don't want to send him in the other tank cause I know the other fish will eat at it .

he's my new fish he had it when I got him I finished parasite clear for the fin rot and it looks less angry so thats when I noticed the tear so now that the parasite clear is over ( I only treatad him once so far I today would be 48 hour treatment then you can do it again ) every thing is good I noticed elevation in nitrite .25 could be because the tank sat fishless for awhile I also did a water change before putting him in and also did one again today.oh ya nitrates 10 ammonia 0 other than that happy healty hungry fish

if it is just a matter of a split fin and no disease, then it should heal up in a few days. I recently got a new goldfish that had a split in her dorsal fin that went almost down to the base but it's healed up completely. if you fish shows no sign of healing it may be something else

I'm hoping thats the case It almost looks like it's been picked at the very base of his tail then after one treatment of parasite clear it looks less meaty and thick and now it looks more smooth and a tear but theres no bottom sitting or floating at the top or any other sign of illness.

Did you run PC tabs because you thought that flukes might be the cause of the ragged fin? If so, certainly make a second dose.

I would also raise salt to protect against bac infection of the wound and help with healing. Any spike in nitrites will also be eased.

Trinket's thread gives step by step instructions

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=60876

Did you run PC tabs because you thought that flukes might be the cause of the ragged fin? If so, certainly make a second dose.

I would also raise salt to protect against bac infection of the wound and help with healing. Any spike in nitrites will also be eased.

Trinket's thread gives step by step instructions

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=60876

thanks pixiefish I'm not sure what is the cause but the pc tabs seem to be working and i'm using salt as a tonic right now. but I'll up the dose slowly thanks !!!!!

OK, well just to help you in the future; it is very important to first try to arrive at an accurate diagnosis before deciding on a medication. Often times, using a 'let's try this' approach, means that the fish is subjected to unnecessary medication which strip it of its natural immunity.

Fin-rot is usually a bacterial issue associated with stress, chasing, unhygenic tanks conditions etc which, in it's early stages, can usually be completely and safely dealt with by salt at 0.3% Sometimes flukes can be an underlying cause for ragged fins and then opportunistic bacteria then jump in.

The most important thing now is to repeat the PC dose at this point, in case of flukes and thereafter do lots of water changes to keep the bacterial count low and the water pristine.

Good luck with him :rolleyes: