Filter

Guest MrMatt

I have a whisper power filter and it has a sponge filter in front that looks like this pPETS-3763862t400.jpg. Then behind it has a what is called a bio bag that looks like this 0046798261582_150X150.jpg. I know one is supposed to hold all the good stuff and is only supposed to be rinsed with the aquarium water but I am confused as to which one. The bio bags eventually get so dirty that rinsing them doesn't work, it prevent the water flow. And just for extra info, it does not have a bio wheel. My question is which one of these do I replace with new ones if any? Can I buy new bio bags and replace them. :unsure:

I had one of those filters years ago, before I found the Aquaclear filters. I always rinsed out both, the bio bags and the sponge. However, it is a pain to get the bio bags clean after a while. YOu have filled it up with those little white things, right? I tossed the content of those bio bags every now and then, and just refilled them with new white material.

And if I remember right, you can get those bags separately - you can remove the bags, and get new ones over the plastic holder?

I had one of those filters years ago, before I found the Aquaclear filters. I always rinsed out both, the bio bags and the sponge. However, it is a pain to get the bio bags clean after a while. YOu have filled it up with those little white things, right? I tossed the content of those bio bags every now and then, and just refilled them with new white material.

And if I remember right, you can get those bags separately - you can remove the bags, and get new ones over the plastic holder?

You are correct, you can purchase the bags and put new ones on over the plastic holder. So, are you saying I should do that or rinse them out like you did? I thought rinsing them out would destroy the good bacteria?

P.S. What "little white things"?

I think I know what you are talking about, I have the same filter. I rinse the sponge and throw away the white biobag with the carbon inside of it. I replace my carbon bags with every water change. Your bacteria grow and live in the sponge, not in the carbon bag.

I do mine with every water change, which usually turns out to be every week or two, depending on my test results.

Edited by Lady_D