Hermit Crab Problem, Please Help

grain

I'm not sure how long it takes them to moult once the gel limbs appear, but I think it's a good bet to isolate at that point. I also don't know how quickly they go between moults. For our guy, from the time he lost the limbs (we're pretty sure it was a post-moult attack) to the time he regrew his legs was about 2 months.

OH NO!!! I have another emergency!

One of my crabs was under the sand molting, and I don't know if another crab dug in with him and tried to eat him or what, but his hole is open, and I can see a part of his body....i can't tell what part it is. One of his soft legs has fallen off. I'm not real sure about the rest of him. I don't know where his shell is either. I did see some movement when I looked at him. But what I see looks like a mess! Last night, I saw his little legs, and he looked perfectly normal, just soft. Now this morning, i see this mess. I tried to get pics, but my flash is too bright, and when I turn it off, the pic blurs.

So, I guess my question is, should I just leave him alone? Would it be too traumatic to dig him up and iso him? I can't see any eyes or legs, just a lump that twitched. I thought I saw his antanae, but I'm not sure because if what I think is his body, it would be impossible that his

yeah, these crabs are gonna give me a heart attack!! poor little guys :(

-last night before I went to bed, I cut the bottom off of a 2 liter pop bottle and kinda place that around him as best I could without disturbing him to keep the others away. This morning, I didn't see any signs that he had moved at all. I will be able to check better when I get home from work today. I really hope he makes it, he was doing so well until now.

-also, i'm missing 1 crab....i did a count of them last night, and i can only account for 5...i should have 6. so either he's under the sand somewhere, or the others completely devoured him? no clue. :ignore

well, the little guy is still alive. Yesterday, I misted his hole with some water and I saw what I think may be gel limbs immediately reach out and try to get water from the sand. so I then added some bee pollen to the hole and he ate some of that! This morning, he is almost completely out of the hole. he is naked. i have a shell in there for him hoping he will go in it. he has no small pincher, his purple pincher is very deformed. From what I can see, he has one leg on the right, no small pincher, then his deformed big pincher, and another leg. From what I can see, it looks like his BP is embedded with sand or something...i'm not really sure though, it's hard to tell what happened there. All I know is he had a very bad molt. :(

My question now is, if he goes into the shell, should I ISO him, or should I leave him in the main tank?

any advice would be most helpful

OK, he came out of the hole, so I think i may move him to ISO. I really didn't want to disturb him though....but I can see sand all over his little soft body. Wonder if i should get him in some dechlor water to get the sand off then try to put him near some shells?? I've never really messed with a naked crab like that before, and seeing as how he doesn't even have his small pincher, I don't want to stress him out even more!

Eek, I've never dealt with a naked crab either. I would think you need to wash him but I really don't know, maybe you could just mist him?

You've probably seen this but I found a lot of info on this site in the past

www.thecrabbagepatch.com

thanks guys! I feel so bad that he didn't make it :cry1

but i did all that i knew how to do for the poor little fella. I think that the molt was stressful, and then i believe that another crab went into his molting tunnel and pulled him out of his shell and then stole his shell. I think this was just too stressful for him to recover from, not to mention the loss of a leg and his small pincher, and the deformed big pincher. I just hope that he didn't suffer much. I guess at least I was able to get him out of the pet store conditions and give him a better chance than he had there. He is burried next to my goldie Tiny, and my Betta's that have passed before.

• 3 weeks later...

I am so sorry! The biggest problem I've dealt with through the years is molters being killed and eaten (I find body parts or just completely empty shells). But I am a crabber who does not iso my molting crabs. It's controversial but I do feel that moving them during this time is infinitely more stressful than the off chance of being killed. Since I increased the depth of my substrate I've had much better luck.

Last year I lost one of my favorite and oldest crabs, Ivy. He came up from a molt with a badly deformed leg. Over the next year or so he molted a couple more times and the leg was getting better but was still very damaged. Finally, during a move, I emptied out the tank and found his empty shell. I don't know if he died from the bad molt, or if he was killed. Of all the crabs I've lost that one was one of the worst. I really miss him and have since retired his shell to my display shelf in the living room. He was the only one to ever have it and I didn't want anyone else in it. :(

Some really good sites that I am a member of are Hermit Crab Association, The Crab Street Journal and Hermit Crab Addicition.