Jump to content

So Frustrated!


Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

I've been dealing with my comet's cloudy/bulging eye for a while now (there are previous posts about this). It's been weeks! I've tried practically everything on the market (the last being the Medigold, which helped cure the blood spots and the fin rot) but his eye is still cloudy/bulging. Urgh. Might anyone of you have any further ideas what I can possibly do? Will the fluid retention ever go away? All I can say is that at least it hasn't gotten worse... but it certainly hasn't gotten any better. :krazy: I'm going crazzzzzy

I guess I should answer these again...

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.4

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.4

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 30 gal, over a year

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aquaclear (don't remember the model; it is the recommended 10X the tank amount though)

How often do you change the water and how much? once a week, 30%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 comets -- 4 inch and 7 inch

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? flakes -- Wardley, Omega One; occasional peas and shrimp

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? 7 inch's eye still cloudy and bulging

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? no

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Hello there Comet.

I remember seeing you thread before and am sorry you're still having problems. I've done a review of all your old threads to try to get a better overall picture of your situation.

It seems clear that you have been dogged by bacterial problems for quite some time now, and in order for you to move forward, I think two things should be considered:

First, the possibility of parasites as an underlying cause for weakened immunity.

Second, how unhelpful bacteria might be getting the upperhand.

Let's first talk about parasites. I'm wondering if running a course of Prazi, which is harmless to fish and filters, might be a good precautionary measure. Flukes can be responsible for the type of fin erosion and damage your fish have suffered from in the past and for paving the way for the eventual onset of pop-eye and dropsy. As you have never treated for this (as far as I am aware) it may be a very good step to take now, just to be sure there is no hidden burden bothering your fish and opening them to infection.

Next we can consider the issue of bacterial escalation. You have 2 quite large comets in a 30 gal tank - you change 30% of the water weekly. So, you are, stictly speaking, under-spaced by at least 10 gals. Comets really need 20 gals each and more as they grow larger. With this in mind, a water changing regimen of a much higher volume may be helpful in keeping bacterial levels contained. I would suggest a 100% w/c now, followed by 75% weekly w/c's thereafter. Also, you perhaps should dismantle your filter and do a thorough cleaning of all the pipes and parts, finally swishing the media in tank water. I recently did this to my own filters using a mini- bottle brush to clean all the pipes and impeller shaft - quite amazing how much gunk builds up in there. It is best to stagger the filter cleaning with the 100% change just to avoid any bumps to the beneficial bacterial colony.

Your Pop-Eyed fish has now had a fair amount of meds; as I understand it, the tank has been treated with Maracyn 2, Maracyn, Maracyn TC, Geltek P and Medigold. Is this everything?

If so, the list of actual meds, so far, is; minocycline, erythomycine, tetracycline, penicillin, ormetoprim, sulfadimethoxine, oxolyinc acid and kanamycin. Quite a list. One of the problems you begin to face is that with every new med, the fishes natural immunity is more and more stripped away and the bacteria become immune to treatment.

One of the very useful meds in treating pop-eye, which you have not yet tried, is Metro-Med food. The active ingredients are metronidazole, ormetoprim-sulfa and oxytetracycline. Although a couple of these ingredients have been present in some of your earlier treaments, the cocktail in this drug tends to be more effective in treating Pop-Eye than the others.

I would like to first check with Trinket (who is very expert in medication) whether or not she agrees with this as a strategy; but, my feeling is that, if you have been battling long-term bacterial problems without resolution, then as well as trying to find the most effective med, you must also explore any hidden underlying causes, too. By removing any build up of bacteria-harbouring crud in your filtration and screening for parasites, I think you may have the best chance of finally resolving your fishes problems. You should also feed very nutricious and vitimin C rich foods to help stimulate and improve the fishes own immune response. Other than fresh greens, Rick at the GFC makes a fishfood, designed to be fed after antibiotic treament, especially for this purpose.

Let me know what you think and I will ask Trinket to take a look at your thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Thanks for the reply, Pixiefish! Yeah, I've felt horrible about exposing my fish to all those meds, thinking that soon they'll build up an immunity to everything. I recently did a thorough taking the filter apart and scrubbing all the yuck off and rinsing the media in tank water. I've made sure to do this regularly (once a week, since Trinket recommended this to keep bacteria levels down back then) but inbetween water changes. Also doing the regular gravel vacs and rinsing of tank ornaments. If there were parasites, Where in the world did they come from? It's been ages since I've last had live plants and I had dunked them in a light bleach solution and thoroughly rinsed them before putting them in the tank. Or do they lay dormant until the fish's immunity is weakened somehow?

I'm really hoping to get a larger tank this summer! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by comet182
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Cloudy eyes are usually caused by flexobacterial infection from trauma to the eye, or exposure to ammonia or formalin. We can eliminate ammonia as you have a 0 reading. Is it possible there are formalin in your tank or tap water?

We need to know if he clouding is caused by flexobacterial infection or formalin.

An eye cloudy from formalin burn resopnds well to stress coat and .3% salting. I would add the stress coat and salt to .3% anyway as the stress coat can do no harm either way and salting to .3% usually helps with traumatized eyes regardless. Water params need to be kept beyond perfect with extra frequent WCs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...