Where Do They Come From

Quasi

Lo and behold. During a major clean -up of house and big part of the garden we found something. Apparantly we have a small pond (in the ground not on) in the rose garden. It only came visible after cutting away some weeds.

And in the little pond live several plants, innumerable snails and 2 goldfish.

I think the best for them is to let them stay where they are, untill we want to clean the pond. They have survived the winter so I think they will be able to live there for a few more months. At the moment you can hardly get near the pond, due to the roses. No herron can land there. So I think they are quite safe.

That is neat! Hidden treasure! I suppose someone dropped a couple of little fish in there in the past and they survived!!!!

Strange - we fight so valiantly for the lives of some fish and they die anyway. And others - probably little feeders that were never given much in life - find a way to live and thrive. That is sooooooooooo great.

:bounce:)

well how the gf and snail get their if u didnt put them though.may b u hav gf there b4.

well i m a newbie but my suggetion will b take the goldys out from there and put them in any of ur tank.though as u said its surrounded by rose plant but who knows wat might happen.

regard

nahid

How cool! How long have you been living there??

I guess its a good thing that a fish lover found this hidden treasure?? I'd hate to think what a non-fish lover would have done with such a find! Keep us updated!

so you just found a pond in your backyard? That odd...did you guys just buy a new house or something?

Yes, we did. It is more like a little farm with a barn and a very big garden. The previous owner has neglected it a bit (actually a lot). You almost need a machete to get to the other side of the garden. Lots of blackberries with nasty thorns, fallen down trees overgrown with grass.

It will probably take a few months till we can move. All the electricety needs to be checked and repaired when necessary, new floor in 2 rooms, etc.

BTW: The 8 goldfish that I have now, were also found there. Those were very lucky because there pond, which stood above the ground was frozen solid a month ago.

Hm, maybe we all should look in our backyards and see what we come up with... :D

That is a neat find, Quasi! Any idea how many gallon that thing holds just yet?

Hm, maybe we all should look in our backyards and see what we come up with... :D

That is a neat find, Quasi! Any idea how many gallon that thing holds just yet?

I would gess a bit under 100 gallons.

• 2 weeks later...

The winter seems to have ended and in the 'found' pond all the fish are awake. So far I've seen 1 sarassa comet of 7", a completly white comet of 5" and 4 mayby 5 orange comets of various sizes.

After some calculations a bigger pond is not an option, and we can't afford a very big indoor tank at the moment, so I'm considering to give them up for adoption. A friend of mine with a very very big pond said he wouldn't mind taking them.

If the Sarassa is a male then I would love to keep it as a mate for Godzilla in the future.

I am happy the fish are all ok - and that there is a nice male in there for you! But I had to laugh - REALLY HARD - when you said "The winter seems to have ended"....

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

We just had 10 more inches of snow last night and it is still coming down.

I do not think this winter is EVER going to end!!!!!

:krazy:

The only thing that comes down here at the moment is rain, it's still pourring outside. The odds on subzero temps are very very small from now on.

Edited by Quasi

WOAH that is a nice find.

Is there a problem with keeping the fish in their current habitat if you cannot take them in, of course?

And, LOL. Subzero? Winter for me is in the 40s!

The pond is so full with plants that the fish have to wriggle trough them instead of swimming :blink: . It is overgrown with grass in the shallow end, so I think it is only 1/3 of its original size. Several huge snails also inhabit the pond, so I think that when the wether gets hot, there might be an O2 problem for the fish