A Complete Pet Owner's Manual

ShariLynn757

BUYER'S BEWARE: PLEASE....ALLOW ME TO VENT!

I was at the LPS the other day, browsing the book section, and came across this Goldfish book. Quickly flipped through the pages, saw all the pretty pictures, and set up ideas, and thought to myself....."you know Shari, your not an expert on this stuff, some reading material will help". So I picked up a few other odds and ends and checked out.

IMG00093.jpg

The very first paragraph in the book "Fishbowl or Aquarium?" No big deal, kept reading. THEY SAY ITS PERFECTLY FINE TO USE A FISH BOWL!! "filling your fishbowl to the top reduces the surface area for the exchange of oxygen and carbion dioxide. Fish tend to thrive more in partially filled bowls...."

IMG00095.jpg

So not only are fish bowls ok, but, filling them HALF WAY is EVEN BETTER!!! ~deep breath~ Thats ok Shari, you know better, keep reading.....

now the plant secetion seemed ok...i know NOTHING about live plants in a goldfish aquarium. SO...maybe i learned something MAYBE i didnt. Next, setting up your aquarium. Most of the information here, I'd like to think is common sense, except the diagram they showed on "how to set up your gravel"

IMG00094.jpg

I mean COME ON!!! I do a bare bottom, to each their own, but LOOK AT ALL THAT GRAVEL! They say by slanting the gravel as show, all the fish waste, and left over food will "roll down hill" HOLY GRAVEL OVER KILL. To a newbie, they dont know how much GUNK will actually get into that 3 inched of gravel! ........soooooo needless to say, i skimmed my way through the rest of the book and admired all the pretty pictures.

Like i said, i might not be an expert at fish keeping, but I;ve done ALOT...and i mean ALOT of homework on GF, and i really feel as though this book was a total waste of paper, money, and time!

I do no reccommend this book....unless you like to look at pictures.

Thanks for letting me RANT!

I actually get a kick out of collected OLD fish books. I find them at yard sales and the book sale at the library. SOme are VERY old - and nearly all of them are good for a laugh.

Fish keeping in the Western World has had a lot of catching up to do in the past 20-30 years or so!!!!

:rofl

Hang onto that book. It could be a collector's item!

;)

LOL "Roll down the hill" Sick! You'd get a big poo pile-up at the front of your tank!

:ignore ACK!!!! GOLDFISH BOWLS!!!! Bad book! Bad, bad, bad!

HOLY GRAVEL OVER KILL.
:rofl

I almost bought that book a while back, but I always skim through them and read a couple paragraphs before I decide to buy. I actually just bought a dog breed "encyclopedia". Such cute puppies!! :wub: lol I bought on eBay a book called 1st Drunken Goldfish and Other Scientific Research or something like that. Just waiting on it to arrive...

Edited by Anic

lol shoudl they remove those book from LFS? I mean it;s so old and........wrong...most begginer will be misled by...it I dont think ti's ok at all..I mean peopel use to think goldifsh have like 3 second memories then out of no where(someoen posted on koko before) that goldfish actualy have 3 months of memories..gah

I will do that! lol I love reading, too. There's a book called Vanishing Peoples of the Earth that I want, neither Larry or I can find it anywhere.

I found one at petty-co that said you can fit 9-12 fancies in a 30 gallon tank. 1 fancy in a 1 gallon tank! But that same book also said that it's one gallon per inch of goldie! I put it down after that...