Moneyworts Coming Uprooted

Carole

I have a bunch of money wort stems in my tank and I am having some trouble keeping them rooted. They were sold as just stems with minimal roots. I left them tied together with the rubberband and attached them to a stick as an effort to keep them down until they grew roots. They were fine for a couple weeks, but now they are coming up. My fish do pick at them some, but I think is is more of an issue with the fact that they are stems without large roots. the plants were starting to grow roots but obviously it hasn't been enough. I have only regular gravel but I put a plant tab under the money wort to give them some nutrients. I have low light in my tank, so they grow sort of slowly to begin with.

Has anyone had any luck keeping stemmed plants in the gravel? How long does it usually take to get rooted?

Thanks!

Hi Carol

Those plants can be annoying can't they when they do not stay down. I think you may have this problem until they settle a bit more. Just keep putting them back in lol. If you have another tank with lights out the plants in there until they start to grow. I have a tonne of stem plants in my tank they tank about a week to settle in and i would say 2 weeks minimum to for root development.

I suggest taking the rubberband off.I have alot of money wort growing out of holes in a piece of drift wood.I kept the rubberband on too in the begining.It cut off the plant circulation and the bottom where the band was died off,thus it didnt properly root.Get yourself some aqua dirt or w/e it's called.lol.Ask for plant substrate safe for fish at a pet shop with alot of stuff for fish.I cant remember what the stuff is i use.lol.But it's safe for fish,and does wonders for aquatic plants.Also glass votive holders,or shot glasses doesnt matter really,are good for planting your moneywort and other plants in.And it really helps with uprooting issues.Hope that helps. :)

Actually keeping the elastic band on will not have any effect on circulation on the plant. Yes there are some good aquatic substrates out there for plants such as ADA Aqua soil, Flourite, Eco Complete and a few more. Since this is a goldie tank i wouldn't use plant substrate as cleaning a goldie tank is fairly impracticable with it in there. Trust me i have tried aquatic substrate in a goldie tank it is just to annoying to deal with :)

Actually keeping the elastic band on will not have any effect on circulation on the plant. Yes there are some good aquatic substrates out there for plants such as ADA Aqua soil, Flourite, Eco Complete and a few more. Since this is a goldie tank i wouldn't use plant substrate as cleaning a goldie tank is fairly impracticable with it in there. Trust me i have tried aquatic substrate in a goldie tank it is just to annoying to deal with :)

Really?Because it rotted the bottoms of my plants.Wierd i assumed it was the band.Bad assumtion i guess.:)The aquatic plant substrates arent so bad if there contained in glass vases,or something to hold both the substrate and the plant.I have my substrate contained in the driftwood.I hallowed it out to provive a place for the plant.Doesn't need to be vaccumed as the plants are contained and absorb the nasties.I use to have the entire bottom of my tank covered with the stuff too originally.Your very right.Wasn't my favorite thing to do. :)

Yeah it is alot easier to clean in a tropical aquarium. The plant will rot at the bottom sometimes. When you got it did you snip the bottom to encourage new root growth?

Thanks for the replies. I did not snip the bottoms of the plants when I got them; I didn't know to. I have noticed almost all of the leaves on the lower half of the plants are falling off. Exactly where they are crowded together. There is good new growth at the tops of the plants though. That gives me hope.

I will remove the rubber band and spread them out a little. Should I snip the ends now to let them start over or do I not what to lose any progress with root development? A couple of the plants that had come up had roots up to 1 in long. If they look rotted I will snip them.

I know they could benefit from getting more light. I am going to order one online today.

I keep thinking they need more of something. Should I wait for my lighting and see, or should I look into fertilizers? I am not to hot about plant substrate because I already have just gravel and it would be an ordeal to redo it. When you say that the substrate makes it hard to clean the bottom, are you talking about the kind that you put under the gravel or the kind that can be used in place of gravel?

At the bottom of the plant snip about 1inch off this will encourage new root growth, you can leave the elastic band it has no real effect on the plants growth. When planting stem plants plant them in groups of 3 so 3 stems per elastic band. Does that make sense? Oh if you plants that have roots already don't snip them only snip the rotting/ones with out root growth.

When i was talking about plant substrate being hard to use in a goldie tank i meant aquasoil, Eco complete and flourite. It go under the substrate and also be used as substrate. It is just a pain in a goldie tank as you really need to get in and vacuum the substrate which means taking all the plants out to do it properly also alot of those products are very messy and better left to a tropical tank where not as much cleaning is needed.