Another Bottom Sitter

Guest bikeboy19

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's very good to know Chubby - but in this instance the extreme plunge in PH is very clearly a much greater cause for concern than needing plants or a friend. But I expect you'll already know this with all your studying ;)

Bikeboy - you will need to watch the fish very carefully and keep his water perfect after such a plunge - he is most likely going to shed a lot of scales and slimecoat due to the very acidic conditions he's been exposed to.

PS. "The bottom sitting may also be due to an internal parasite though. I've cycled alot of tanks with new fish,and old fish, i've never had any bottom sitting.Try some medigold if he starts to deteriorate.It's a medicated food.Also do you use aquarium salt?If not you probably should.It's has electrolytes and reduces the affects of ammonia and such on the fish.It is safe for goldfish."

SuzzyQ - I'm sorry to contradict you but this is very bad advice. The very clear cause for this fishes bottom sitting is that he has been almost burned to a crisp by the acidicic PH plunge - it is a water quality issue.

Recommending antibiotics when there is no evidence of bacterial infection is very bad practice as it robs the fish of it's natural immunity. Meds should never be dosed so casually - there has to be actual infection to warrant their use. This is an issue which has been coming up a lot lately on the board as many people like you have been sugesting med food almost as a pick me up or a shotgun treament to 'catch all'. You can read a great deal about it in the Discussion forum under JOH's thread 'Public enemy No1' - it starts of with a argument about fluke treatment an eventually get's on to meds.

As it stated "If he starts to deteriorate" Meaning theres another problem that isnt due to the ph.Like an parasite.lol.The Aquarium salt is not bad advice at all.I didn't come to this post to argue.I came to help.The advice i gave is very good advice if you pay attention.Obviously medicated food wont help the ph.The ph issue had already been addressed.The direct hit from ammonia definatly isnt helping the fishes overall condition.In terms i was saying to use the salt as a helper.Not to cure the current issue of low ph,and poor water quality.

Ok I'm personally sorry for everyones behavior bikeboy i hope this minor dissagreement hasnt scared you off.Please just ignore the petty argument.Pixiefish provided very good advice.I hope your little guy feels better soon.I wish you the best of luck.And Welcome to kokos.It's actually not normally like this.It's a very user friendly happy place.Think of this as a family argument.lol

It would be most helpful to the OP if newbies who cannot be polite would stay out of diagnosis and emergency forums so the person with the sick fish can get more focused help and these arguments won't happen.

Studying marine biology alone is by no means a qualification to help sick fish. That is the same as saying if you can read a car driving manual you can drive yikes_smilie.gif. Experience including sucess and failure is what makes a person more qualified. Pixiefish has been here day in and day out for almost 3 years seeing familiar problems and issues on a daily basis. That is the best way to learn how to deal with these issues.

Text book study is not a proven qualification, track record is. So I suggest you newcomers stay quiet for a year and then after reading more posts you may be in a better position to advise. There is no need to be rude here. Koko will ban posters who are rude as you should know if you had read the rules (please click on the link in my sig).

Any member who insults another will be reported and may be banned.

"... So (dan in aus) you need to brush up on your knowledge of goldfish it's not about knowing a bunch of diceases or the amonia levels of the water or using a aquarium as away to show your decorating ability it's about providing your fish with a good home."

"See pixie fish this is exactly what I'm talking about your quote (with all your studying) age does'nt matter you people are so obsesed with proving other people wrong.I'm trying not to snap at you people but I'm finding it difficult to contain my self. Oh and what kind of name is pixie fish and your daughter ink fish what kind of stupid names are those?"

"Why are we all argueing in the first place this board is meant to help our friends and share important information it's not for petty fighting about who knows more even though it's obvious I know more than pixie fish and by the way who agrees that pixie fish is a dumb name I mean c'mon."

Chubby - I actually began by welcoming you as a new member; an apology for your lack of self-control and rudeness would be in line at this point.

It is not acceptable to launch personal attacks on members just because they disagree with your opinion or do not hail you as an expert.

This type of behaviour will not be tolerated on the board. You are 12 years old and have just arrived on the forum so I suggest you learn some manners.

Meanwhile, Bikeboy's thread has been completely derailed which is not helpful to him.

Guest bikeboy19

Yes, I am going to try to pick up a Kh test tommorow morning, If that is the culprit how should I go upon raising this, I heard about crushed coral in my filter and someone said something about baking soda, What would be the measurement of that?

Thank you very much to the people that have been focused on my problem, I would of had so many more if I had not come through and read hundreds of other posts of the great information all of you have contributed too.

Yes, I am going to try to pick up a Kh test tommorow morning, If that is the culprit how should I go upon raising this, I heard about crushed coral in my filter and someone said something about baking soda, What would be the measurement of that?

Thank you very much to the people that have been focused on my problem, I would of had so many more if I had not come through and read hundreds of other posts of the great information all of you have contributed too.

Crushed coral certainly helps. Baking soda will dramatically raise pH and kH somewhat as well. You are going to have to keep a sharp eye on the pH, testing it a coupe of times a day or more to sustaine the correct pH. In the meantime do daily massive WC to keep the water close to perfect as possible. Then keep a sharp eye on the pH and tweak it up with baking soda if it shows any signs of going down.

Chubbypearlscale, I'm sorry but it was you who launched an attack first on both dan in aus and Pixiefish.

You had given advice that wasn't wrong in general but in the case of bikeboy's is not the right one and has the potential to do more damage than good.

Kokosgoldfish is a friendly forum, one of the friendliest out there. We do not tolerate any rudeness & arrogance. You have shown both qualities in significant amounts in this topic alone. For now, we're going to let you have one more chance and expect you to apologise to both Pixiefish & dan in aus. One more wrong step and I'm sorry to say we'll have to ban you from this forum.

Bikeboy, let's get back on track here. Do you know your kH reading?

You probably have a very low kH which will mean you need to get something in the filterbox that will adjust your pH longterm. You can buy crushed coral in the tropical section of a good LFS to add to your filterbox media or you can (as I do) use coral pebbles/gravel as a substrste. It works fast and it works permanaently. Meanwhile you will need to add baking soda at every water change and monitor the pH daily.

You can get your kH tested at the LFS. They should give you the exact number. Write it down. Or yes you can buy the kit-it is also a number that fluctautes so needs keeping an eye on esp. if its low (under 40 or 50).

You'll need to add baking soda at about half a level teaspoon per whole 20 gallons I would think. Keep monitoring as each water situation is a little different. You can cut back/add a little more as nec. With a very low kH you will need more. Its a try-see thing. Start with half a level teaspoon for tyhe whole tank. Then see after 2 hours what your pH is at.

Hey Bike boy, sorry your thread has become so hijacked, you can use baking soda as a means of upping your pH, for the short term, but for the long term I definitely suggest using crushed coral in your filter, this stuff is great, I use it in all my tanks, I live in an area with very soft water (very low kH) -the coral slowly dissolves over a year or two, releasing calcium carbonate into the water, upping the kH and stabilizing the pH (your pH tap water seems fine) the thing I like about crushed coral is that it is a very porous material so having it in the filter doubles it's use as a breeding ground for beneficial bacteria (I'm guessing you know about these as you mentioned you've been doing your reading)

Good luck with your fish! Welcome to Koko's :D (again, sorry about your thread :unsure: , hope this doesn't leave too much of a bad taste in your mouth :( )

Hi again Bikeboy - I'm worried that in the middle of all the nonsense one thing may have gotten lost: The PH regulator you have been using. Did you see my post about that?

Just in case you missed it in the cross-fire .......Your PH is 7.5 but if your KH is low and you have been using a softener (Seachem PH 7) it will strip out the buffer and crash the PH. Hopefully you've already seen this and stopped the Seachem conditioner?

Sorry again for the unpleasant exchanges and derailment of your thread. This is an unusual occurance here and everyone is generally very helpful and friendly.

Wow! THAT was a first! :rolleyes::whatjust:

In the midst of all the pandemonium I noticed someone advising salt. Is it not unadvisable to use salt in water with ammonia readings Pixie or Imogen? Or am I confusing something else? I just noticed that and I could swear that anyone advised to use salt in a tank showing ammonia was told to use zeolite.

But please only a mod, helper, or long-timer answer. :yeah: