Sign in to follow this  
kusackaid

My Plant Order Arrived Today

I ordered a bunch of plants from aquariumplants.com last week and they finally came this morning.

Currently everything is in buckets with jungle clear water, because that is the ONLY product with potassium permanganate I can find near my city I put in enuff of it to turn the water a nice deep purple.

(I have spent over 2 months now searching for PP, apparently it does not exist in the city of Everett... and only one person out of everyone I asked had even heard of the stuff)

Most of the plants are going to go into a display I am setting up for growing emerged and floating aquarium plants. ( I am not woried about those because no fish will be in contact with them) A few will go into the goldie tanks. One of the plants I ordered was duckweed so I could grow it out of the tanks and use it as a growing/ fresh veggie for the fish to eat. My question here is I know snails were in the duckweed, because I saw a couple of them when I was putting the stuff into the bucket. So normally with just PP solution you would have to soak for 4 hours to kill snails right, but I don't know the concentration of the PP in the jungle product so how long should I leave the plants in their soak before moving them/ feeding some to the fish.

I had to get a 2 lb. portion of the duckweed because they didn't sell it in smaller quantities so I have no idea what I'm gonna do with all of it if I can't start feeding some to the fish today. The bag looked like a nice big goldfish coleslaw. The stuff is about 3 inches deep in my 2 gallon bucket.

I am guessing that they grow the duckweed in an actual pond because there were also some small plants mixed in with it that I had not ordered. I'm gonna see if I can get them to grow too, because they look like one of the types I thought about ordering but did not have the money for atm.

Later today after I get home from my PT appt I am going to get the emerged growing display set up and the plants for it planted.

(I have spent over 2 months now searching for PP, apparently it does not exist in the city of Everett... and only one person out of everyone I asked had even heard of the stuff)

You know who sells it? Companies who sell bottled water. That's where we got ours.

I will have to look in the phone book and see if there is a company that sells bottled water out of everett. Thanks for the suggestion. My grandma suggested I call our county water department and ask them if they know of a place to get it.

If there are snails on the plants it will take a while to get rid of them all every 2 days or so start a new treatment. :) Good luck what other plants did you get? The best method i have come across is get a pot of boiling water and dip the plant in for no longer than 5seconds any eggs, or other things on there will die. Be sure after doing this to chuck in a bucket of water to cool them down. Be warned this does not always work for fine leaf plants.

Edited by dan in aus

Here is everything I got:

2 java fern (the first one turned out to be 3 tied together)

some java moss

an onion plant (hopefully the goldies can't uproot it as its big)

An anubis var. 'nana'

some creeping jenny

2 lbs of duckweed (this is a TON of this stuff)

glossostigma

cryptocoryne lutea

and a peace lilly

The duckweed is to be grown solely to feed the goldies.

About half of the other plants will go into one of my tanks.

The glosso, peace lily, creeping jenny, and maybe a piece of the java fern are going into an emerged growing display I am setting up in the window.