Water Temp?

Chrissy_Bee

My apple snail currently lives in my 10 gallon QT tank with no heater. I'd like to get a few more tropicals but that means I'll have to add a heater to his tank so I could QT them in there, will it bother him if the water temp *gradually* goes up by about 5 degrees? I think I remember reading somewhere that snails don't live as long in heated water.

Optimal temps for apple snails are in the 65-82 degree range (F) but I keep mine in the 70-74 range personally. It is true that higher water temperatures will cause the snails to lead a shortened life, but the range I use seems to be perfect because mine are healthy, happy, and with me for quite a long time.

I prefer to keep my snails in a tank by themselves, but if you are going to put other fish with them make sure you get gentle, community oriented fish or they will torment the snails to no end.

Also, snails need calcium rich water with a pH range of 6.5 - 8 (preferably 7-8) for the health of their shells, so make sure what ever fish you choose have similar requirements. After all, we want everyone to be happy together.

Thanks Michelle. My snail used to live in my goldie tank but I put plants in so his is by himself now. If I put any fish in they will be guppies and/or tetras, do you think that will be ok for a couple of weeks?

Your apple snail should get along well with the guppies and tetras personality wise, but I am not sure about the water requirements because I have never kept either of the species. Research the water requirements for the fish you are looking at and then if they fall in the same range as the snails go for it totally. :D

I have several apple snails and they seem not to bother live plants at all as long as you give them plenty of food.

My guy got lots of food but still destroyed my live plants within days! :P

I think it depends a lot on the variety of apple snail weather they prefer plants or other foods.

I feed him lettuce, cucumber, shrimp pellets, peas, goldie food. He ate 3 different types of plants, absolutely stripped the leaves off them. I'm not a plant person so I don't know the varieties....I'll try to figure it out though and let you know.

If you have an apple snail that is eating your plants chances are you have a cana, not a brig. Brigs won't touch plants unless they are already dead, but canas are vegan all the way.

Archived