Baby Lionhead

alanworm

I was wondering what is the name of this color and i was wondering if it is the starting color for a black lionhead?

I've heard of green or a copper color but not sure how to tell. What prospect color can come out of this color of baby lionheads?

Any advice how to know if its will be a black lionhead or ranchu?

IMG_0056.jpg

Edited by alanworm

I would call that a "green" that is typical of an "uncolored" youngster. Some types of goldfish take longer than others to "color". Calicos are usually the fastest to get color. Reds take a bit longer. Blues can take up to a year in the varieties I have.

I would guess that you will be seeing a red, metallic fish when that one "decolors" or gets its beginning adult coloration. IT could have some white on the belly - but that may drift or decline as the fish ages.

Since it has a fairly straight back, I would call that one a "Lionhead" for Ranchu are supposed to have a more curved back. It needs to develop a full headed wen to be a true Lionhead - and it is too young at this time to tell what type of wen it will develop.

I would suggest feeding it heavily on protien to help develop a wen.

Other than that, that is a nice healthy little one you have there. :)

Lol sometime those goldfish if it grow abit older it can turn into orange. Or maybe it will stay greenish black lol I'm not sure. But yeah definitely a lionhead, if you get it from LFS most likely it will be a lionhead, and yes the straight back and the tail.

Yes - the green color of a "fry" or an immature fish can be any color. Typically, calicos turn "young". "Pinkies" are obvious at a VERY young age. Yours is too old for either of those color presentations.

"Black" fish usually have a much darker and more evenly textured "green" when young. The yellowish highlights on this one lead me to believe that it probably will be red, orange or red/white or orange/white.

:)

oh ic.. so the black one would look something like callie's ranchu?

wow .. learned lots from u daryl thx !!

is there any informational sites about that .. that i can look more into ???

Edited by alanworm

Sites - no ... I am not very "site oriented". But Josesph Smart's book Goldfish Genetics can be of use to anyone serious about breeding and conformation. I hear that Peter Ponzio has a new book out called "Spike" or some such thing. It is supposedly supposed to help you in selecting show fish.... I do not know. I do not have my copy, yet.

I hear that Peter Ponzio has a new book out called "Spike" or some such thing. It is supposedly supposed to help you in selecting show fish.... I do not know. I do not have my copy, yet.

I'm dying to get that book, ever since Rick told me about it.