Elaine's Got A Problem

Chrissy_Bee

I'm not posting my tank perams because this is a bit of a 'special' case.

As some of you may know my lion head Elaine has permanent sbd and hasn't been able to swim for about 9 months. At first I was going to euthanize her but realized she was really still herself, she shuffled along the bottom and begged for food. More recently I put her in a floating basket (as in a little plastic basket I got at wallyworld) because she was being picked on and getting stuck behind decorations. This has been working really well, she eats from my fingers every day and is showing no signs of deterioation..until now :(

Elaine usually sinks to one side so every now and then I flip her over. Tonight when I did I saw that she has a big red area on her side..huge actually...and some spots on her wen. It's as if she has a bed sore. My mom was there and suggested maybe I put some gravel in the basket so she's not laying flat on her side all the time.

I'm really upset, I'm sure some of you probably think I should have euthanized long ago but I can't do it, not while she seems so full of life and is showing no signs of infection/suffering. I added melafix to the tank. I also have medigold, but this doesn't really look like infection to me, just a pressure sore, should I feed it to her? (I'd show a pic but my camera is dead). I'm going to check on her at least twice a day and try to keep her off the side, is there anything else I can do? If she begins to go downhill I will euthanize, but I really hope it doesn't come to that :(

Oh dear poor thing :( Chrissy, I kept a pearlscale in the same condition for almost 2 years before she passed and I have to say the sores you describe are excatly what she would get form time to time. They would always heal up on their own in a few days. Melafix may well help yes but then the whole tank has melafix which the other fish dont need ...that's not so good...and I did find once the sores start they tended to continue on and off.

I would hold off the medicated food for now..you may need it at some point..but for now, this bedsore(if thats what it is and I really presume so) will probably heal over.

Meanwhile, I would not add gravel to her basket as it can be scratchy, however a small flat smooth rock/larger pebble might work well.

I did that though too and TT just shuffled herself down the other end of the basket and avoided it!!

I'd give it a few days. Strong immunity (she is eating well you say) is all it needs to heal beds sores up usually. 0.1%alt can help the slime coat repair and will not hurt the other fish. You are an angel to keep her with you :heart . I know its heartbreaking to see them like this, with life and spirit but no movement control.

Thanks so much :heart It's nice to know somebody else out there managed to keep a fish in the same condition.

I just looked at her and I can already see the slime coat coming back over the sore area. I really hope it's like you say and she just recoveres quickly. I won't add anymore melafix (I'm almost out anyway :P ), but may add some salt.

What makes it even more sad is that she only has one eye, so when I flipped her she was staring up at me with her one little eye!!! :(

:cry:hug Oh I know.I know. It is heartwrenching. She is totally dependent on you. I suppose just nice food and food treats are pleasures though. Hang in there :heart

JOH's ryukin (I think Jack is a ryukin) has "suffered" from SBD for months now, and for a while, developed a large donut shaped "bed sore", that once the gravel was removed and he could shuffle along the bare-bottomed tank, went away. (sorry for that long sentence!)

But Jack eats fine, and otherwise has a normal fishy life. He may or may not ever get beyond where he is right now. JOH adores Jack, which I think is just so unbelievably loving.

Don't give up on your fish! I really believe that as long as the fish keeps fighting and eating, he/she has the will to live, and the will to please. :heart

Chrissy, like Lola said, my ryukin Jack of Hearts has not been right for almost a year. He started to bottom sit about a year ago. At that point, he would still swim at feeding time but would go back to bottom sitting once the food was gone. As he continued to bottom sit, his belly got so compressed that it looked like the bottom of an iron. Rick from GF connection told me that there is nothing you can do for a fish at that point. Trinket and Toothless disagreed and told me to continue treating him. He actually deteriorated to the point where he was so weak that I had to literally drop the food directly in his mouth. I tried everything. Antibac bath, medigold, prazipro, etc etc. He recovered to the point where he got some strength back. Over next several month, he went through a lot. The huge donut that Lola described, lying on his side unable to sit upright, scraping his gill cover, etc. Throughout all this, never did I once even remotely think about euthanizing him. I can tell that he was constantly fighting to try to get better and he had full will to live.

Well, long story short, today he is able to sit upright, skates around the bottom of the tank and occasionally able to get some "air time". He has great appetite and despite his handicap, enjoying life.

Lola urged me to get rid of the gravel and that is the best thing I ever did for Jack. I also got rid of all the oranaments and the fake plants to give Jack all the room to skate around the bottom of the tank.

I'm sorry Elaine is getting picked on. :( That's one thing that Jack never had to worry about as his tankmate Sosh is his best buddy.

I hope Elaine gets better under your loving care. Even if she never becomes fully "normal" again, Jack is living proof that she can still enjoy life as a "handicapped" fish. :)

Thanks again everyone :D

The great news is already her side looks better. I just looked and it's a lot less 'angry' looking than it was last night. PHEW!

JOH, the process you describe is exactly how Elanie got how she is. I had her in a hospital tank for a long time and tried different meds but finally accepted that there was nothing else I could do.

As for getting picked on, my pearlscale tries to eat everything, so when I put him in the tank he started picking on Elaine. Sine she doesn't swim too much anyway I figured the basket was a good option. :)

I just wanted to let everyone who gave me advice/support know, Elaine is totally healed and as happy as ever. I did a water change today and she watched me the whole time in her cute little way :heart

Thanks again!

Wow that's wonderful news!! That is truly amazing!!

Chrissy I am so happy for you and Elaine! :bounce

I hope Elaine keeps improving! I have a ryukin that's been upside down for months now. :( He can't even get to the food anymore so I had to confine him to a breeder net suctioned to the inside of the tank. He has horrible red sores on the parts exposed to air. :cry1 I really hope Elaine stays underwater where she belongs! :heart

I really hope Elaine stays underwater where she belongs!

I think she will because she's been sunk for so long. Your poor fish, I had the same thing happen to a moore before. He did eventually sink so the sores healed up, maybe the same will happen to your guy :)

Great news Chrissy :D . I am really glad to hear this :exactly

Erin, I'm so sorry Bigboy is still at the top. Have you got something to put on the areas that leave the water, vaseline or if they are red open sores you could try some bio-bandage :unsure: seems to be very good. It's such a worry, but there can be about turns as Chrissy describes.