Guest jasper

Can Goldfish Eat Tuna?

i use canned tuna in my gel food, my pond fish love it! but use 'tuna in water' and make sure there's no addictives in it ;)

Edited by love-rabbit-fish

Wouldn't that be cannibalistic, lol? :D

if you look at the ingredents in the fish food they contain fish..

SHHHH, i dont think we should tell the goldies about that, LOL ;)

Edited by love-rabbit-fish

No more cannibalistic than if we put them in a tank of small tropicals. They'll eat those little boogers live AND whole.

Not to mention they eat their own eggs...

No more cannibalistic than if we put them in a tank of small tropicals. They'll eat those little boogers live AND whole.

Oh yeah! :rolleyes: We've had panicky posts here where the goldies have swallowed an otto and its gotten jammed in their mouths, plants, gravel...lol...the little boogers will eat anything that will fit in their mouths and won't get out of their way fast enough!

Except Florence who would not touch peaches and bananas this morning! Moby will eat anything, though.

When I first got goldies I put ghost shrimp in there for looks. I just liked them. I couldn't figure out where in the world they were going till I read on here that people feed them to the goldies!! I haven't gotten anymore though.

Edited by vickielm

Guest Kaynaydian

I have a red cap who has had some SBD issues so I decided to try making a gel food.

Since the gel food listed tuna as one of the ingredients, I figured I'd try feeding some tuna to my lil guys to see if they even liked tuna.

Well, as you can imagine, they attacked the small bits of tuna I put in the tank like it was filet mignon!

Now, the only problem is, the plain tuna (as minute an amount as it was) seems to have really caused more swim bladder issues in poor Jeopardy who is now struggling to keep from floating on the top of the tank, and lying sideways.

The tuna was packed in water, no additives, etc. And I ate the rest of it for lunch, so I dunno what the issue is.

Anyone ever had an ill effects on a goldfish from tuna?

they attacked the small bits of tuna I put in the tank like it was filet mignon!

Anyone ever had an ill effects on a goldfish from tuna?

I bet :D !! As for ill effects, what else was in the gel food? Tuna (water packed kind) is used by many people in homemade gel food recipes. Its full of good things for them.

Another thing is that fish have individual sensitivities like people allergies. Perhaps your redcap has one to tuna among others.

Not to mention they eat their own eggs...

That would be considered birth control. :lol:

Goldfish gel food can also include Samon(pack in water) and cocktail shrimp. I've got both in my gel food and the fish go nuts over it. I've tried to put as much nutritional stuff in my gel as I can. I use alot of baby food like Carrots, Peas, Beans, Squash, Bananas, Apple. Fresh spinach. Grind up ProGold and a dash or two of Paparika. Yummy!!

Does it have to be in gel or can it be straight from the can? or fresh? raw? or cooked?

I made puree with veg. and added Agar agar gel which is made from kelp natural sea weed. I followed the instructions on the packet and it was very successful and easy .

cool recipe Monique however often with home made foods they are not complete in nutrition. I am big fan of the repashy gel food products

On 5/2/2021 at 9:56 AM, Monique Chester said:

I made puree with veg. and added Agar agar gel which is made from kelp natural sea weed. I followed the instructions on the packet and it was very successful and easy .

Yes I agree I have been ordering Repashy super gold on Amazon but when it ran out I made my own....I also made beaten egg with tuna in the microwave. They like it and it's easy for them to eat and doesn't fall apart in the water.