Help! Have My Fish Been Busy?

lclayton

Just chiming in to say good luck--I haven't looked in this section of the forum before so the thread is new to me, but it's quite suspenseful! Looking forward to more updates :D

• 2 months later...

Oh my goodness, I haven't been here for ages!

Recap:

100 eggs scooped out of adult tank

Around 80 fry hatched over a few days 28th -30th January

Held out no hope for any survivors...

Headcount as of April 1st, 42 remaining fry, all growing very happily in their 45 litre storage tub!

I use a filter operated by an air pump, it has replaceable cartridges containing sponge and carbon that can just be thrown away and replaced, I can't remember what the model is but it wasn't expensive, but has worked very, very well.

I have had a failed attempt at hatching brine shrimp and gave up rather quickly on that one.

I fed them a combination of Liquifry drops and Hikari first bites at first but after a while moved onto Liquifry 3, the yellow powder, as well as a morning feeding of the Liquiry drops as the fry have grown at different rates.

Now they are rather partial to very small amounts of crumbled up dried brine shrimp and goldfish flakes.

I'm rather fond of scooping a few up into a glass to check their progress and growth rates. I imagine they're not especially fond of me doing this, but it doesn't harm them!

Photos:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/l...ry/SP_A0164.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/l...ry/SP_A0152.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/l...ry/SP_A0154.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/l...ry/SP_A0156.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/l...ry/SP_A0157.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/l...ry/SP_A0158.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/l...ry/SP_A0162.jpg

Not very exciting I know but I love my fish!

If anyone has any questions or comments please go ahead :D

Thanks.

Oh my goodness!! They're so ADORABLE!!!! :wub:

I have often wondered how they were doing, and with you not being on for a while I had feared they didn't make it. :unsure:

But look at them all!!! And you say it's not very exciting??? Of COURSE it is!!!

I'm so glad that you have pictures even!!! :happydance You're a great fish Mom!!

Seeing all the babies makes me want to raise some, too! But I only have one fish... so that's not very likely at the moment. :rolleyes:

I'm so glad that you've updated again!!! :exactly Great job!!

Debbie

Aw thanks Debbie!!

I'm really worried that I'm going to wake up one day and go over to the tub and they'll all be dead, I know it could still go wrong. The smallest is still under 1cm but Bob, the guy in the first picture, is my biggest at just under an inch.

I read so many fry diaries that seemed so prescriptive - feed this, don't feed that, check this, add that, water change every 3 minutes, feed constantly...and I haven't followed any of it. I do a partial water change every 5 days or so, I feed them 3 or 4 times a day...I basically treat them exactly the same as their parents. It's survival of the fittest at the end of the day. I'm not eve going to seperate the bigger fish from the smaller ones as they may prove a nice snack for some of them, making them stronger.

I have never had any other eggs in the adult tank though, it's looking like a one off!

Thanks guys! How nice not to have people rolling their eyes at me when I start going on about them :D

Down to 41 now :( it was one of the smallish ones, but still made me sad. I think a large one had had a nibble. Still, I'm letting them get on with it.

I'll take some more photos in a week or so, I reckon they'll have had a spurt by then :goldfish:

Guest Melodium

This has been such an interesting thread to read! Your experience looks like it's been a great one so far! Can't wait to see those babies as they get older!

Guest Gerbie

HUGE congrats from me. I'm patiently awaiting my fish to be old enough to breed and I hope my first batch turns out as successfully as yours! Thanks for the update and please keep us posted!

By the way, you mentioned that you work all day, and I was worried about the same thing. What feeding schedule did you put the fry on?

It was a big worry. I probably lost a few due to lack of feeding but it couldn't be helped. Luckily I am only a 15 minute walk from work so generally they were fed at 7.30am/8am, 5.30pm, around 8.30pm, and then just before I went to bed at about midnight. I gave them a large feed in the morning mainly of liquid liquifry (that's hard to type lol) as it dispersed in the water and reached all the fish quicker than dry food. I still worry that they're not getting enough even a few months later. About twenty minutes ago I was crouched over the tank with some dried brine shrimp ground down finely, sprinkling little bits on the surface and watching them come up to get it - it's a relief when they are big enough for you to actually see their mouths swallowing the food, I tell ya.

Down to 40...

Came home to find one of the darker fry floating on the surface and scooped him up into a glass to deal with later. Twenty minutes later I was about to get rid of it and saw it twitching and trying to swim but struggling to stay upright. I'm very surprised that a fish this small could suffer from a swimbladder complaint but thereyago, he was for sure.

I'm going to look at changing their diet over next few days. Nothing drastic, just more protein. I would really like to get some vegetable/green matter into them - I give my adult fish algae tablets every few days and they LOVE them, GOBBLEGOBBLEGOBBLE. I'd like to try something like that with fry...hmmm...

Hopefully next week my dad will be coming over to visit me and bringing me an old 10G tank I store at my parents which is going to become home for the larger fry to give the smaller ones a bit more room to grow and feed.

• 2 weeks later...

Well 11 days since I last gave them a good inspection and they done more growing.

I've updated my album here: http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/l...nt=SP_A0272.jpg

(Starting from that pic, click next)

(If anybody wants to look, that is!)

Towards the end of the pics there is one where I am looking down on them in their glass (they must hate me lol) and you can see one has a wriggly back/tail end. Poor bent little fishy is one of biggest and I hope he lives, I've called him Cricket. The white fish with black eyes is called Ghostie. He also has a slightly wonky tail but not so bad. I love how I can distinguish a handful of them from the others in the tank :) I don't think I'll be able to part with a fair few of them, if they make it that is.

Lost another so I think down to 37 now...? Only a little one though. I'll be upset if I start losing any of my big boys!

I was wondering if anybody could tell me when a good age/size is to start using a small, fine net to catch them? The deodorant lid is getting a bit too small and easy to swim away from!

:exactly They're so adorable! Ghostie caught my eye right away! :wub: You're doing a great job with them!

I'm so glad that you keep updating! It's so much fun - and so educational - watching them grow and reading how you're caring for them!

Thank you!!

Debbie