I May Be Getting My 5g Tank Kit This Wkend!

nickie73

I cant wait to see pics when u get it Nickie!! And Im sure when u buy a betta that it will b very happy from rescuing it from a tiny cup! I remember when I put my bettas in the old 1/2 gallons the first time they were so happy! And then when they got the new 1 and 3 gallon tanks they were even happier! 5 gallons is a great size if u dont wanna do as many waterchanges with the 1 gallon tanks I gotta do a 100% waterchange every 3-5 days depending how the water is! Its alot of work but at least I can keep them happy and healthy that way :D . Oh and bettas like to hide so get some kind of ornament that it can hide in

Edited by Shamu23

I use a Nano Filter and a Stealth Visitherm 25 watt heater in a standard 5 gallon glass tank. I have a overhead halogen spot light from a track light and no hood.

Seems to work pretty good.

Where could I get a Nano Filter? I've been looking for a small filter with a minimal flow/current at the lfs for my 5 gallon betta tanks but haven't had any luck... of course that could be because i haven't looked hard enough... i should go look at the chainstores...

I have some Aquaclear heaters. Excellent little heaters with an orange indicator light. The only thing I don't like is that there's no temperature listing... you'll have to slowly adjust the temp little by little, wait, adjust some more... Of course, once it's set, it shouldn't be any problem.

Edited by comet182

Not yet. We couldn't go out of town Sat because of the snow. I am going to go this wkend hopefully. :rolleyes:
Where do you live Nickie? You can always order the stuff online too.
In Georgia. The closest Pet**Smart we have to us is 45 mins away. I really wanted to go there to see the fish they have and to look at the decorations, airpumps, and bubble wands. However, if I can't make it this wkend, then I will prolly just order on-line.
I use a Nano Filter and a Stealth Visitherm 25 watt heater in a standard 5 gallon glass tank. I have a overhead halogen spot light from a track light and no hood.Seems to work pretty good.
Where could I get a Nano Filter? I've been looking for a small filter with a minimal flow/current at the lfs for my 5 gallon betta tanks but haven't had any luck... of course that could be because i haven't looked hard enough... i should go look at the chainstores...I have some Aquaclear heaters. Excellent little heaters with an orange indicator light. The only thing I don't like is that there's no temperature listing... you'll have to slowly adjust the temp little by little, wait, adjust some more... Of course, once it's set, it shouldn't be any problem.
Have you tried looking on-line at places like Pet**Smart, Pet**Solutions, BigAls online, places like that???

I currently have around 4 goldfish in a 10 gallon.

:SmackBottom:

I said it was temporary housing!!! :wa

:wa

How temporary? When's the new one coming?

Somwhere between 1 week and 5 months. Tanks are expensive....good thing wall mart sells 50 g rubbermaids for only 12$. :D:wa:kickbutt:pan:pianobanana:twocents:devilangel:argue::SmackBottom::theater::rude:

So, you got a Rubbermaid instead?

:tomuch:

Poor Kets. We'll guilt trip him into it eventually......

Oh No! Leave me out of that! LOL! I have made too many mistakes in my replies as it is. I don't need anymore Pms from anyone. I was just asking a question... ;)

I use a Nano Filter and a Stealth Visitherm 25 watt heater in a standard 5 gallon glass tank. I have a overhead halogen spot light from a track light and no hood.

Seems to work pretty good.

Where could I get a Nano Filter?

Saw one at Big Al's online. :)

After I pulled out my 5 gallon Marineland tank, I was flipping through the owner's manual and it said that it was good for up to 5 fishes! :no:

Evey photo shows a ton of fishes in the tank and one photo where it warned against overcrowding showed so many goldies crammed in there, I had to count them in disbelief. I counted 30+ goldies in that staged photo!! :thud

After I pulled out my 5 gallon Marineland tank, I was flipping through the owner's manual and it said that it was good for up to 5 fishes! :no:

Evey photo shows a ton of fishes in the tank and one photo where it warned against overcrowding showed so many goldies crammed in there, I had to count them in disbelief. I counted 30+ goldies in that staged photo!! :thud

OH I KNOW!That just makes me so mad!It gives people the impression that you could just stuff an oscar,or a koi in that tiny thing!Who wants to help me write hate mail?lol.jk.Seriously though it does give young kids the impression that you could put 10 commons in there.Then when they die they assume that was there life span(or they got a "bad fish")This is where bad fish keeping starts,I'm posotive of it.I cant even put a betta in those anymore.It makes me feel bad.(i'm aware i'm rediculous) :heart I turned mine into a little teranium for my pennyroyal.lol.(beware my spelling it's 2:43 am here lol)

You are absolutely right, Suzzy. Younger kids (and ADULTS) see those advertisements where there are 30gf stuffed in a 5g tank and then they have the pet stores telling them it is okay, too! That is why people end up overstocking and losing their fish! You would think that the companies that sell these tanks would want ppl to know exactly how many fish they could put in there. I mean, it is no skin off their noses as they don't sell the fish, just the tanks. However, in order to boost their sells and convince ppl that buying their tank is a good idea, they tell lies. It is really sickening!!! :ill