I May Be Getting My 5g Tank Kit This Wkend!

nickie73

I may be getting my 5g tank kit this wkend for a betta!!!! I am going to Petty Smart and I am going to look on-line and see what they have before I go. What I plan on doing is getting the tank and getting it set up, then doing a fishless cycle on it, THEN getting a betta!!!!

So, I know bettas like plants (silk is what I will get) for their tanks. I also know that I need a heater. Any recomendations for the brand of heater I get? Also, is it okay if I add some river pebbles to the tank? Do bettas like a place to hide? Any suggestions are welcome!!! I plan on reading up on betta care and seeing what kinds of food they like, etc, before I buy the fish.

Edit: I may just see if I can find a used 5g tank somewhere, but regardless, I may still pick up a heater and some plants and secor this wken for the tank. Also, what kind of filter do you recomend for a 5g?

Edited by Nickie

Edit: I may just see if I can find a used 5g tank somewhere, but regardless, I may still pick up a heater and some plants and secor this wken for the tank. Also, what kind of filter do you recomend for a 5g?

A lot of stores have complete 5 gallon kits with everything you need for fairly cheap. Tank, light, filter, food, net, etc etc for like $40 or something like that.

If I find something like that, then I will get it, but if they are more than say, 40.00, then I may see what I can find somewhere else. I still have to buy crushed coral from DrFostersSmith and it is 30.00, so kinda got to watch my $$$$. LOL!

If I find something like that, then I will get it, but if they are more than say, 40.00, then I may see what I can find somewhere else. I still have to buy crushed coral from DrFostersSmith and it is 30.00, so kinda got to watch my $$$$. LOL!

Those 5 gallon kits usually retail for $49.99 but often on sale for $39.99 or less.

I have a 4 gallon Biorb tank that came with a 5W lightbulb. It never needs a heater becuz the lightbulb keeps it warm. You may find that too.

congrats on getting ready to get a new fishie!!!!

Edited by Lolafish

Nickie, check craigslist before you spend any money on a new tank.

Someone told me that you can get a 10 gallon tank brand new from Wallyworld for $9.95, so watch what you spend as you can overpay very easily for those made up kits.

Edited by Lolafish

I have a question about using a light for the "heat" in a betta tank:

How do the fish sleep if the light is on all the time to keep the temp up?

They have on/off switches.

If you meant you are worried what happens after you turn off the light when the fish goes to sleep, as long as you turn it back on again in the morning, he'll be fine. Unless you keep your house 60 degrees.

Edited by Lolafish

Oh, I see, so even if the temp drops some at night when the light is off, it won't drop enough to hurt the betta? No, myhouse is kept at about 72 degrees at night and higher in the day as this house is BIG and doesn't heat very well.

money saving tip if you are getting the tank from Pet*Smart. If you go online an print the page with the tank and the price and with the Pet*Smart banner at the top ( they have a link on the right hand side of the page to print) and bring it in to the local Pet*Smart when you go to purchase your tank the store will match the price. It can be anywhere from a $10 -20 savings. I did it Friday when I bought a 3 gallon eclipse kit for my two bettas ( I put in a divider of course). The online price was $36 and the instore price was $50 so I brought in the printed add and got it for $36 which gave me extra money for a a live plant

I use a Nano Filter and a Stealth Visitherm 25 watt heater in a standard 5 gallon glass tank. I have a overhead halogen spot light from a track light and no hood.

Seems to work pretty good.

Hey Nickie I got a 10 gallon aquarium last week for my betta and it was 45$ at Wal Mart it included a hood and 2 lights a 5-15 Aqua tech filter and tetra food and conditioner. I know u want a 5 gallon but If u want a 10 gallon this one is perfect because u could put a divider and have 2 bettas in it. thats what Im doing :) just a suggestion...

Thanks to all of you!!! I didn't get to go to Pet**Smart because we had some snow and we were afraid that the roads would ice up before we got back home. The temps dropped to 16 degrees last night.

However, I will keep all of your suggestions so when I do get to go there; hopefully next wkend, I can see what they have. I will also check on-line before I go to see if they have any specials. :yeah:

Sally, I really want only a 5g, or 3g, as I want to keep this tank on my kitchen counter. I spend so much time in my kitchen, that I thought it would be nice to have a "kitchen buddy" in there with me! Thanks for the advice, though! Good luck with your bettas!!!

Thanks to all of you!!! I didn't get to go to Pet**Smart because we had some snow and we were afraid that the roads would ice up before we got back home. The temps dropped to 16 degrees last night.

However, I will keep all of your suggestions so when I do get to go there; hopefully next wkend, I can see what they have. I will also check on-line before I go to see if they have any specials. :yeah:

Sally, I really want only a 5g, or 3g, as I want to keep this tank on my kitchen counter. I spend so much time in my kitchen, that I thought it would be nice to have a "kitchen buddy" in there with me! Thanks for the advice, though! Good luck with your bettas!!!

No problem :)

Nickie you got me thinking about the 5 gallon setup that I have sitting in the attic. It was actually my Xmas present along with Sosh & Jack back in 2003.

Your thread got me thinking maybe I will get a betta too and put him in the 5 gallon. :)

Nickie you got me thinking about the 5 gallon setup that I have sitting in the attic. It was actually my Xmas present along with Sosh & Jack back in 2003.

Your thread got me thinking maybe I will get a betta too and put him in the 5 gallon. :)

Or maybe you could get 5 female Bettas and have them have a hiearchy/pecking?order there. ^_^

Or maybe you could get 5 female Bettas and have them have a hiearchy/pecking order there. ^_^

Not for me. I believe in giving a fish a little space to swim. 5 bettas in a 5g is way too much imo. One betta in a 5g is perfect to me. However, I would be willing to put one in a 3g, but no smaller than that. :yeah:

Or maybe you could get 5 female Bettas and have them have a hiearchy/pecking order there. ^_^

Not for me. I believe in giving a fish a little space to swim. 5 bettas in a 5g is way too much imo. One betta in a 5g is perfect to me. However, I would be willing to put one in a 3g, but no smaller than that. :yeah:

Once everyone moves into the 50 gallon, I will have two empty 20 gallon tanks. I could put the Betta in the 20 gallon.

Sorry :( Im not very good with container sizes :( .

Once everyone moves into the 50 gallon, I will have two empty 20 gallon tanks. I could put the Betta in the 20 gallon.

Wow, that betta will have plenty of space! You could take one 20g and divide it and keep two in there!!!!

No problem, Hon! When I came here, I wasn't good with sizes either!!!! LOL! I had two gf in a 2.5g tank!

Wow, that betta will have plenty of space! You could take one 20g and divide it and keep two in there!!!!

No problem, Hon! When I came here, I wasn't good with sizes either!!!! LOL! I had two gf in a 2.5g tank!

I?currently have around 4 goldfish in a 10 gallon. But it's temporary housing/quarantine. ^_^. But I swear once I get a large enough rubbermaid for them,?I?will?move?them?there. And then I will move my Platies/Mollies to my 10g.