Under Gravel Filter

Right now i'm using a undergravel filter ..does it do any good to goldfish because i use to have tropical fish so used a undergravel filter but i was wondering if it will trap bad bacteria in it?? because goldfish are more sensitive fish should i remove it ?? any input on that ??

Hi Alanworm - yes your hunch is right. U/gravel filters are a bad idea for Gfish. Not because they are more sensitive than tropicals but because they produce much more waste - which as you say gets trapped underneath. We've had so many people here with UV's and bacterial infections in their fish that we do not recommend them for use with goldies.

Hi Alanworm - yes your hunch is right. U/gravel filters are a bad idea for Gfish. Not because they are more sensitive than tropicals but because they produce much more waste - which as you say gets trapped underneath. We've had so many people here with UV's and bacterial infections in their fish that we do not recommend them for use with goldies.

thx for the help.. good to have someone to ask ... i'll try to get rid of it asap

When you do remove the UGF, make sure you remove the fish from the tank and set them in a separate bucket. The stuff that will come out from under that pad will make you gag. It can do serious harm to the goldies!!!!

Guest Chicklette

I personally do not like under gravel filters. You can not clean it properly and all the stuff gets trapped underneath. It?s very hard to keep clean. It?s also very bad for goldies because of the waste they produce. A canister or HOB will work much better so I would remove it.