Generally How Hard The Water Should Be?

Right now i am using 3 oyster shells in my 25 gallon tank ..but then there was a red cap that use to purk up alot and now he's not as purky ..is there anything to do with the hardness of the water??? and if not how do i make the water harder?

Goldfish can and do survive and thrive in a very wide variety of pH, temp, and other parameters. That said, if you are going to filter your tanks using the nitrogen cycle, you MUST have enough kH - carbonate buffer - to properly support the pH during the nitrogen cycle. It naturally will acidify the water as it goes through the cycle - potentially dropping the pH as it does. With sufficiant buffer, the pH will remain stable.

Since you do NOT give any particular pH, or kH or even gH readings for your tank, there is no way of knowing what is going on in the tank. Because of this,I cannot hazard a guess as to why your fish is not "perky" as he should be. There are literally hundreds of reasons that this could be so - many of which can occur at the same time, making the problem many layered and much more difficult to diagnose.

Sufficiant kH and the subsequent stable pH in the mid to upper 7's is much more compatible with the beneficial bacteria that run the nitrogen cycle.

In general, I like to suggest that, if you are ammending your kH/gH it is suggested that you keep it about 100ppm for each. That is a nice, middle of the road number. It does not have to be that high - or low.... but that will work splendidly.

If you do have very low or non-existant kH or buffer in your tank, it is possible that your pH is bouncing around as the water is changed, the waste is processed and the fish eliminate. A bouncing pH is a HUGE stresser.....and can open the fish up to all kinds of problems. A dropping pH can quickly become life-threatening. YOu might want to take a pH reading several times during the day - and see if it changes. A kH reading will go a long way to help diagnose the tank, too.

i currently do not own a kh kit but my ph of water is stable at around 8 the other water and nitrate nitrite and ammonia is in a very good shape. which is 25 - 0 - 0

i wasn't sure if it was because the hardness of the water that will affect the hardness of the fins? i'm not sure if there is any core relation there?

Alan,

Did you remove your ugf yet? If so, I wonder if you could have had a bump in your cycle, or do you have other filters running, too...I can't remember... :unsure:

Nickie,

No i havn't removed the ugf, i'm waiting for the new gravel they are getting in at the lfs... i don't have another filter in my tank ... i only have a aquaclear 200..

Edited by alanworm