Duckweed Culturing

small_ranchu

Hi,

I just found out that duckweed is a good food for goldfish. I want to plant it in small 5 gal tank by window sill and feed my ranchu every week. My window is facing to south. Is it possible to plant them without using any extra lighting system? Will they grow fast enough to feed my 10 fish every week? Is there any alternate way? Thanks.

Hey Fred,

I had one piece hitchhike in on another plant and its exploded. I blend my into my gel food and the goldo's go nuts for it. If you have a 10 gallon or even a 5 gallon with a desk lamp it'll explode in about a month's time. Mine started in my killie tank and was so thick I couldn't see the bottom of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, be careful what you wish for, because?the?'weed'?in duckweed is there for a reason.

Pretty much, all you need is enough water for it to float?and some light to get a never-ending supply. You can add fertilizer for faster healthier growth.

What do you guys think about culturing some in the bottoms of 2 liter bottles in the windowsill, using old tank water with or without extra ferts? I've been wanting to try some little plant bottles and have been thinking of trying duckweed as one of the first types.