Do Females Always Drop Eggs?

nickie73

The reason I am asking is because I have a female demekin in with my male fantail and she has never dropped any eggs. I assume that they prolly have to be of a certain age to do this? Maybe she isn't old enough yet? I am not sure of her age as I got her at vvvvv* . When I got her, she was very tiny; I was able to hold her in my hand and close it and you could not tell I had a fish in there at all. She has grown a lot since I got her in August. Any ideas on this? I just want to be ready when she does drop eggs, as I don't want any babies right now!!!! LOL!

I had my black moor for easily 3 years, probably 4 before she released any eggs. I found my males on the other hand were ready with milk at less than a year old however.

I ahve a friend whose "champion" Bristol took 7 years before she bred. But - hoo-boy - the fry she had when she finally did! WOW! Sometimes they are worth waiting for!!!

Thanks! Personally, I know it is better for them to dro eggs than not to dro them, but I will be a nervous wreck if she ever does as I am afraid I will have all the lil fishies everywhere and no where to put them! LOL!

:rofl

Yeah I can just picture you with a gazillion frys. :krazy:

Thanks! Personally, I know it is better for them to dro eggs than not to dro them, but I will be a nervous wreck if she ever does as I am afraid I will have all the lil fishies everywhere and no where to put them! LOL!

:rofl

Yeah I can just picture you with a gazillion frys. :krazy:

No thank you! :rolleyes:

Unless you take specific action to preserve and raise the fry, in a tank situation, you will most likely never have to deal with unwanted fry. The fish eat the eggs, you wipe the eggs away, water changes suck the fry away, the filters swallow the fry, the fish eat the fry, the cold gets the fry, the lack of food does not allow the fry to grow, etc.

Tanks are not easy for fry to deal with.