Still/sleeping Lionhead

Guest Jenniferlucy

Guest Jenniferlucy

Hi, I'm fairly new to the goldfish world but I have 3 small goldfish in my tank, it's a 30L Biorb. The tank's been running for about 2 months now with no problem at all and only change the filtration system as instructed by the Biorb guide. They live from fish food flakes and I have had no problems with them at all so far. However in the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that my lionhead (the other two are Orandas) has started floating at the surface the correct way up. The first time i saw him it scared the22 out of me but as soon as I moved towards the tank he swam off. I have seen him do it about 5 more times since this. He seems to be in no pain or discomfort and seems perfectly happy when he swims off, I just want to know why he is doing this and is it normal for Lionheads?

Thankyou!!

Hello and welcome to Kokos.

I am glad you have found us because you will now be able to solve your fishes problems. They are, I suspect, starting to react to poor water conditions.

The first bit of bad news is that I'm afraid the Biorbs are no good for Gfish; they are too small and lack the necessary levels of filtration required to process the Gfishes high waste output. Common GF need at least 20gals each whilst fancies need at least 10G - 30L is short of 10gals so 3 are living in space for less than 1. Fishstores never tell you this, mostly because their employees do not usually know much about fish!

1)Before going any further I recommend a very big water change with de-chlorinated temperature matched water. This will bring down the elevated levels of waste in the tank and make the fish a little more comfortable.

2)Next, read the two links below my signature to get a fix on the basics.

3)You will need to get yourself a water-testing kit - understanding your water-chemistry is essential, as the fishes life-line is the good water you supply.

Drop kits are the most accurate and you need to have ammoina, nitrite, nitrate and PH.

4)You will also need to get them more space as quickly as possible - either a larger aquarium 30gals or a temporary clear-plastic crate, like a rubbermaid or storage crate.

Please post back with any question you may have and we'll do our best to help. :D

Guest Chicklette

It sounds to me that she has swim bladder. I would take all of Pixiefishes advice. You need to feed her some peas and fast her for three days if in fact it is swim bladder. But before we can suggest any medication or help you out we really do need your water parameters. Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate and pH.

The liquid is much more accurate then the dip sticks so I strongly recommend you get a test kit.

If all is okay then you will need to medicate for swim bladder.

I would just like to say that I think it is a mistake to speculate on diagnosis and advice, before water chemistry results are posted.

Many times the problem is water related entirely, particularly when people are new to fishkeeping.

It is all too easy for a worried and inexperienced fishkeeper to rush out and get meds in antipation. Meds administered in poor water not only won't work but can also make things worse, especially if the diagnosis is wrong.

The most important thing to notice here is that there are 3 fish living only around 6.5 gals. That added to the inadequacy of biorbe filtration units makes it most likely that the fish are sitting in quite bad params. This will make them gasp at the surface, get floaty, bottom-sit, turn black.......and on and on.

First order of business is water results. Discussion and diagnosis comes later.

Archived