Oh, Man ...... Why Today?

daryl

I have a particularly busy day scheduled... and this morning 5 (yup you read that correctly - FIVE!) tanks full of fish decided to drop eggs.

ACK.

What a mess to clean up.

I have all my boys and girls (mostly) segregated. I am not yet ready for fry. I do not want to miss the window of opportunity, though, so I am contemplating moving a few select fish and seeing what I can get fertilized tommorrow morning. Hmmmmmmmmm......

:krazy:

Always happens when you dont want it to. Mine bred like crazy last spring/summer, I bet when the time comes to me being able to raise fry they wont bother!! If you want them to do something, they just wont!

Thats a lot of tanks to clean up, your boys have been busy. Hope you can get things sorted.

Actually, it is the GIRLS who have been busy..... ;)

The boys are swimming, ignorant of the action, in their own tanks..... :yeah:

I have decided to dump everything - BUT.... my little blue Ryukin has spawned her first time and I am loathe to let it go. Her mama did not make it last year - and she is the last really nice blue Ryukin I have. So I am going to cross her out to her brother and see if I can pull some more blues. I dropped in the spawning mats and moved her to a spawning tank with the prettiest male from her spawning......... I hope I do not regret that..... I need more work like I need an extra hole in my head! Come- onnnnn BLUES!

(and I need more fish like............... :krazy: )

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol thats men for you! (No offence to the guys on here!)

I love blues as well. Hopefully you will get some, and it doesnt get too crazy around there with all the little babies! I havent seen a Blue Ryukin around here, we got sorta blue orandas, like mine, but even they arent true ones.

If you get blues out of it, then all the hard work will have paid off.

Well, since this is the SECOND time my "lsat year's fry" spawned, and the one doing the majority of the "egg dropping" is a very nice blue ryukin, I decided to keep the eggs - at least a few hundred of them or so.

Today, they have started hatching......

WHOOOPPPPP!!!

Now I gotta find a place for my brine shrimp hatcheries.......

:hmm

I think I have to be totally CRAZY to do this in JANUARY. It will be -10F this Saturday...... I guess I will need to fire up the tank heaters, huh?

:rolleyes

For a couple of 100s of very nice blue ryukin, yes, Ma'am, you better fire up that heater. :rofl3 Is there even space left in your spare bedroom for yet another tank (or two)? So, it seems -10 degrees seems the perfect temperature for spawning, yes? :D

Well, I have been sitting and watching (it is cool to watch) - and it appears that I, once again, have FAR more eggs than I thought. I only pulled 3 mats of eggs out of that tank, but the sides of the hatching tank are now coated with tiny fry all hanging..... and the mats themselves are alive with little bodies.

I am going to need more than just the 2 twenty gallon tanks I have set up. Ugh. That means I am back to tanks on the floor and tanks in the bathroom and tanks.... EVERYWHERE.

yup..... -10F is, indeed, a PERFECT temp for spawning/hatching.

;)

:rofl Most should have hatched out last night - and the rest should hatch this morning. Since I have about 4 that are up and swimming already I will start the first 2 hatcheries of shrimp going today - a 1pm start will give me fresh shrimp for 7am feeding tomorrow.

I think I caught some eggs from the first release - which was a good 24-30 hours earlier than the last - so I have a great variation in hatching. That is too bad - now I will have an even wider spread on "hogs".

All I can do is feed.

Gotta love my little Klingon warrior empire. Guess I just have to cry havoc and let slip..... the baby brine shrimp???

:yeah:

I will wait and see what I have. There are not that many - only about 100 or so I would guess. I do not know if that is because I did not decide to keep them soon enough - and they were "chilled" for 24+ hours, whether the 0.3% salt that was in the water (I had just finished a PRazi/salt round for flukes) or because the parents are VERY young and were not specifically prepped for breeding. I am hoping there are some nice ones in there. BUt there is no way of knowing for some time.

:)

They ate their first brine shrimp meal today. :)

I will wait and see what I have. There are not that many - only about 100 or so I would guess. I do not know if that is because I did not decide to keep them soon enough - and they were "chilled" for 24+ hours, whether the 0.3% salt that was in the water (I had just finished a PRazi/salt round for flukes) or because the parents are VERY young and were not specifically prepped for breeding. I am hoping there are some nice ones in there. BUt there is no way of knowing for some time.

They ate their first brine shrimp meal today. :)

?If you get any nice ones, send them to me :D

Daniel in action!! :rofl2 Somehow I knew you would get a kick out of that one. :D

Daryl, how are the little ones? Count and named them yet? :D

You have GOT to be kidding!!!! :krazy:

Fish do not generally "earn" their names until they get bigger and/or do something that "makes themselves known".

It was a "small" spawning, but there are still over 100 in there. They are growing sooooo fast. They double in size every few days! I love the way that their tummies fill up all flourecent pink/orange with the baby brine shrimp they eat. Then, when only the line of pink/orange poop is visible - and the tummy is empty,I get to feed them again. They run around gulping shimp like there is no tommorrow! The tummies swell up and they are good to go for another 3-4 hours.

I hatch out two rounds of brine shrimp a day - 1 tsp full of eggs each hatching. They eat them ALL.

I can already see their double tails and their nice backs. There was only one with a bad back - and it did not make it past the first 2 days.....

They are CUTE.

Lol thats men for you! (No offence to the guys on here!)

*ahem*

I'm all for spawning. But nobody's dropping eggs. :blink:

Haha! Sorry - couldn't resist. :ignore

:tomuch: Just too funny!

Daryl, how many of the fry do you expect will survive? I don't know that much about fry, but have learned a lot about them on here.

Once again I want to tell you that you are a very accomplished breeder. Please accept this accolade Let us know when you have finished culling and want to part with some of them. Are these blues from dandy oranda stock. If so, then you have outstanding bloodlines going there. Great job

Yup - these are second generation from Dandy's..... the "grandparents" are "Sterling" - a large calico broadtail (Goldfish Connection - Tung Hoi)and "Clementine" - a red/white broadtail and "BlueMoon" - a blue standard tail. The parents are my "fry" from this breeding from last winter.

The parents are red/white broadtail crossed with blue broadtail.

It was not particularly a productive spawning - I had only about 100-125 when hatched. I expect that is because the parents are sooooo young - not quite a year old yet.

Yesterday I cleared out numerous belly-sliders. There have been a few deaths. There was one bent back. I would guess that there are about 90ish left. In the past, I did not get a great percentage of good fish. I hatched over 4000 fry last year - and only kept 4. I sold a hundred or so - but, other than great finage and some pretty colors, they were not show fish. The four I kept ARE. They still are not quite up to the standards of the imported fish - but I am getting closer.

I am hoping that, since all four are fairly good examples of Ryukin, and are closely related that I will get a greater percentage of good quality offspring. When I get to the point that I am ready to unload any I do not wish to keep for continuing the line, I will post up here - and we can perhaps distribute some.

That is a number of months yet. I learned not to send them off too soon - many did not survive last year - and some people were diappointed that the fry did not pan out to be the fish that they had hoped. I will hang on to them until I am more comfortable in being able to say that what I am giving is a "Ryukin" - not just a pretty, young goldfish.

:}

He IS a big boy, lol! :D

Keep us posted on the fry Daryl, and congrats on your "surprises", even though they were unplanned.

If and when you ever decide to unload any of them, I really wouldn't be concerned for myself if its a "show" quality fish or not since I am just an amateur. A pretty young goldfish would be fine for me. I'd really be interested when the time comes. I'm just not comfortable buying from the lfs anymore unless I have to.

Archived