Sign in to follow this  
TheFishMan

What Should I Do?

My friend has a pond about 3 and a half feet deep, and about 3 feet wide and long, and i now he has seriously over stocked it, he has a load of small koi, roach, comets and commons, carp, minnow, and is getting orfe and tench, he doesnt have a de icer, and when the pond freezes over does nothing about it, the water is brown, and he never beliees me that it is overstocked! He even kept two commons, in a 4.5 litre bowl in tap water once!

Unfortunately, sometimes people just don't want to listen, no matter how much to try to explain things to them. The hard truth is that many people only learn the hard way that they are doing something wrong, in this case the fish might suffer. Does he have a filter on his pond?

If the water is getting a lot of sun light, the brown you are seeing might just be algae. And even then, in an overstocked pond fish are deprived of oxygen so much faster, and they are competing with the algae for it. It is okay during the day, when the algae (which is basically a plant) gives off oxygen into the water, but it gets critical at night, when the algae uses oxygen and takes it out of the water, where the fish need it desperately.

Have you suggested to your friend to give some of his fish away to better homes? Maybe a koi club in his area? How cold are we talking about at night? Most pond fish, at least the very hardy koi and comets, can do well in the winter with just a little ice, but a de-icer should be in there just for oxygen and gas exchange.

Yes he has a pump, but I dont know how good it is, and he would never giv any fish away, especially not his koi! He has had them over 7 years and the biggest one is about 4 inch! Urm.. right now, it is winter, so in the days the highest temperatures are probably 8 degrees C, at night, lower, not sure how much, the pond does get sunlight, it is just in his garden, with only a fence on one side of it which would stop sunlight, and i doubt he will buy a de-icer, when i mentioned it to him he was like "The fish can still breathe! DUHH!" But in the summer his mum is planning on re doing the pond, and making it clear, this is when he will get 12" golden orfe and 6" tench.

he would never give any fish away, especially not his koi! He has had them over 7 years and the biggest one is about 4 inch!

A koi that's 7 years old and only 4 inches is really stunted. Koi with good conditions should be around 28 inches at 7 years old.

Yeah exactly! 4inches r his biggest ones! Some r smaller!

I guess Ima just gonna have to leave him, their isnt really anything I can do, he wont listen, the only reason he might listen is if a load of his fish die, but then he would probably come up with a differant excuse...

*sigh*

Have you tried showing him information on the internet, print outs of web pages and the like? I've done that with people who simply refuse to believe that their goldfish is stunted and suffering in that little goldfish bowl. Showing them forums and tank-stocking calculators and other information from people who did actually know better than them (much as they hated to admit it) seemed to do the trick. If this didn't work, and if you think it is actually a case where the welfare of the fish is a serious issue then you could involve local animal welfare authorities?

Failing that, sneak into his garden at night and relieve him of half of them :D

Lol, He is my best friend, and iv known him all my life, because our mums are best friends, if i got the animal welfair authority then they would go mental at me!

And i have tryed to tell him, i think tbh, the best way for him to learn is if some of his koi started dying, and he found them flaoting on the surface, or for example, one caught dropsy or a swim bladder disease or somthing like that, ill try and show him on the internet, but the best way will be to wait until they empty their pond, and actually find ot how mny galons it is. But ill keep trying. Just annoys me, and he was telling my to keep a brown river trout in my 4.5 gallon tank!

The animal welfair authority isn't going to do anything about fish no matter how bad their conditions are. Plus reporting a friend is a good way to lose a friend.

Yeah animal welfare will only scoff and tell you there fish,and pretty much have the same attutude your friend does.Unfortunatly there are no laws protecting fish.Apparently there not good enough to be protected. :hmm:wall idiots.