Nitrite Level High In My New Aquarium Help...

Sally2007

Hi Yesterday I bought 2 fantail goldfishes and I put them in my cycled tank.I just wanted to know how can I bring down my Nitrite level? should I do a water change and how much? How come my Nitrite level is so high and my ammonia is 0? Is that y my fantail is twitching? or is it just because they have swim bladder?( I think). I dont understand Please help...

• Test Results for the Following:
    Ammonia Level? 0
    Nitrite Level? 1.0
    Nitrate level? between 5.0 - 10
    Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.6
    Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.6

• Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20gallon and Its been running for 40 days

• What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aqua Tech 20-40 I know i need another one but I will get that later.

• How often do you change the water and how much? well I was doing a fishless cycle so I didnt need to change the water but when I got my 2 fishes yesterday I did a 50%.

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fantail goldfishes about 2 .5 inches.

<li>What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use Cycle.

<li>Any medications added to the tank? No

<li>Add any new fish to the tank? Yes my 2 faintail yesterday

<li>What do you feed your fish? medi-gold for now.

<li>Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", No

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

<li>Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? No but I think they have swim bladder problems.

Hi Sally.

Twitching as in darting or sudden movement is not usually swimbladder related - are your fish darting suddenly across the tank and or scratching themselves on things? If so they could be carrying parasites which is very common with new fish. Or they could just be adjusting to the different pH or temperature changes between the old water and the new 50% change. Did you acclimate the fish to the changes from store to tank gradually? Nitrite will certainly have the fish at the surface as it binds with red blood cells making transport/uptake of oxygen difficult. Make sure you have extra bubbles going with any nitrite presence.

I presume you are using some de-chlorinator like Prime/Amquel?

I'm also wondering why you are feeding them medigold?

As for the nitrite level itself- it will be a small bump you are seeing as the beneficial bacteria you have built up with the fishless cycle adapt to the different levels of ammonia and waste that the new fish are producing re-the amount that was happeneing when you were adding commercial ammonia. Its quite common and shouldn't last too long. Keep checking it and change out water as necessary to get it back to zero. As the bbs reproduce to accomodate the new load the cycle will settle out. Meanwhile you should try feeding less.

Hi Sally.

Twitching as in darting or sudden movement is not usually swimbladder related - are your fish darting suddenly across the tank and or scratching themselves on things? If so they could be carrying parasites which is very common with new fish. Or they could just be adjusting to the different pH or temperature changes between the old water and the new 50% change. Did you acclimate the fish to the changes from store to tank gradually? Nitrite will certainly have the fish at the surface as it binds with red blood cells making transport/uptake of oxygen difficult. Make sure you have extra bubbles going with any nitrite presence.

I presume you are using some de-chlorinator like Prime/Amquel?

I'm also wondering why you are feeding them medigold?

As for the nitrite level itself- it will be a small bump you are seeing as the beneficial bacteria you have built up with the fishless cycle adapt to the different levels of ammonia and waste that the new fish are producing re-the amount that was happeneing when you were adding commercial ammonia. Its quite common and shouldn't last too long. Keep checking it and change out water as necessary to get it back to zero. As the bbs reproduce to accomodate the new load the cycle will settle out. Meanwhile you should try feeding less.

Hi and Thanks for answering my question. They are not darting across the tank but they are swimming weirdly and head down and sometimes they cant keep there blance so that should be swim bladder right? I cant believe i didnt see that at the pet store I thought that was normal when I saw all of the fishes in the same tank swimming the same way.and no there not scratching themselves to anything in the tank. yes I did acclimate the fish to the changes from store to tank gradually by leaving them in the bag in the tank.

Well I read somewhere that I should feed them medi-Gold when I first buy new fishes for 14 days to take out any bacteria that they had in the pet store. Am I wrong about that cux it also says that on Goldfish connection. There is something else well Ive been using the same filter pad since I started my fishless cycling when do I change that?

I just did 50% water change and my Nitrite is still 1.0 to 2.0 how come?

Don't be afraid of LARGE water changes right now. 75% or so is better...and then be sure to double dose your Prime. 50% with nitrites that high really won't do much.

I just did 50% water change and my Nitrite is still 1.0 to 2.0 how come?

Don't be afraid of LARGE water changes right now. 75% or so is better...and then be sure to double dose your Prime. 50% with nitrites that high really won't do much.

I've never seen prime in canada. Im using cycle is that good? Is it bad if i do a 75% water change tomorrow since i did a 50% today?

I've never seen prime in canada. Im using cycle is that good? Is it bad if i do a 75% water change tomorrow since i did a 50% today?

It says in the initial post that your tank is cycled.....but it's not, correct?

I don't see a problem doing another 75% in that case if you are trying to keep Ammo or Nitrite under control.

I don't see a problem doing another 75% in that case if you are trying to keep Ammo or Nitrite under control.

yes it is cycled, but my nitrites isn't going down, i have 0 ammonia in my tank. My tank said 0 nitrite 0 ammonia and 5.0-10 nitrate before i put my fishes in.

yes it is cycled, but my nitrites isn't going down, i have 0 ammonia in my tank. My tank said 0 nitrite 0 ammonia and 5.0-10 nitrate before i put my fishes in.

Then it is not cycled. Once it is cycled, the only thing that should be above 0 is the Nitrate. The Ammo & the Nitrite should be at 0 constantly.

Then it is not cycled. Once it is cycled, the only thing that should be above 0 is the Nitrate. The Ammo & the Nitrite should be at 0 constantly.

Ok but it was saying 0 to both b4 so I dint know. ok Thanks :)

There's a lot of differences of opinions about Cycle. I used it when I was cycling my tank and I really don't know if it helped or not. Many posters here don't think it does anything, but some say it helped them...so it depends on who you ask. I don't think it hurts anything, though, so I'd use it if you have it.

I'd do as Lolafish, Trinket, and JOH suggested and keep up with the large wcs to get those nitrites down. They are as lethal to your fish as ammonia.

I'm also not understanding using Medigold for fish that aren't ill, but if GF Connection suggested it, then I guess its something I hadn't thought of. My worry would be that the fish would build up an immunity to an antibiotic that they may need for an illness later on. Kind of like people. :idont But I could very well be mistaken about that.

I'm also not understanding using Medigold for fish that aren't ill, but if GF Connection suggested it, then I guess its something I hadn't thought of. My worry would be that the fish would build up an immunity to an antibiotic that they may need for an illness later on. Kind of like people. :idont But I could very well be mistaken about that.

You are right about not feeding Medigold to fishes that aren't sick due to the risk of the fish building up immunity. The only exception to that is indeed when you get a new fish.

"MEDI-GOLD is a good food to feed to your NEW fish for 10 to14 days after you receive them. It will help them fight off any Bacterial attack they might suffer from being stressed from shipping."

See? You can learn something new here every day! :) Thanks JOH!

I just also saw where sally asked about changing the filter cartridge. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :stop:badidea:noway:rolleyes:

Seriously sally you need the bacteria from the filter media to fight the nitrites so that your tank can cycle. If its gunky just rinse it with water that you syphon from the tank during wcs. Don't use tap water. My tank has 2 filters and has been cycled for 4 months, and I just changed one filter cartridge because it literally fell apart. They LOOK gross, but its a beneficial grossness.

There's a lot of differences of opinions about Cycle. I used it when I was cycling my tank and I really don't know if it helped or not. Many posters here don't think it does anything, but some say it helped them...so it depends on who you ask. I don't think it hurts anything, though, so I'd use it if you have it.

I'd do as Lolafish, Trinket, and JOH suggested and keep up with the large wcs to get those nitrites down. They are as lethal to your fish as ammonia.

Thanks Vickielm I will do the big water changes :) I just wish I didnt bought the fishes yet thats why I chose to do a fishless cycle... i guess my tank fooled me lol :)

Yes jack of hearts that what i read thats y im feeding them medi gold.so when should I change the filter? im gonna be getting another filter cux i know golfishes needs 10X but not right now cux money is an issue.

I just wish I didnt bought the fishes yet thats why I chose to do a fishless cycle... i guess my tank fooled me lol :)

It didn't fool you. It was cycled, if you went through the cycling process over several weeks.

Once you add fish to something that was once fishless, you will experience cycle bumps on occasion. That sounds like what has happened to you. Now it's necessary for your tank to get used to your fishes' output..so while it's doing that, large WC's will get it back under control. It's okay to do them back to back until you get .25ppm nitrites or below.

I just wish I didnt bought the fishes yet thats why I chose to do a fishless cycle... i guess my tank fooled me lol :)

It didn't fool you. It was cycled, if you went through the cycling process over several weeks.

Once you add fish to something that was once fishless, you will experience cycle bumps on occasion. That sounds like what has happened to you. Now it's necessary for your tank to get used to your fishes' output..so while it's doing that, large WC's will get it back under control. It's okay to do them back to back until you get .25ppm nitrites or below.

Thanks Lola, :) but when should i change the filter?

You should never really change out your filters. You should always have at the bare minimum both floss type filter media, and ceramic ring/stars type, and/or Seachem's Matrix (looks like little rocks). All you will ever do with the filter floss type cartridges, is rinse them every few days or so in old tank water. You would never rinse off your other media, unless it got so gunky nothing was moving through it (very unlikely in a well-maintained tank).

If you buy the filter cartridges that have carbon in them, you can remove the carbon yourself before inserting, as that is really not needed unless you're trying to remove meds. Otherwise, if you leave it in...there are two thought processes:

1. The carbon will get used up and re-release toxins back into the water

2. The carbon will get used up, however, re-use itself and grow BB's instead

If you are really worried about carbon (I'm not, but that's just me), then you can purchase your own filter floss and cut it to fit your filters. Then, the only time you would replace it, is when it got so shredded by use, it became useless. The same goes for store bought.

You should never really change out your filters. You should always have at the bare minimum both floss type filter media, and ceramic ring/stars type, and/or Seachem's Matrix (looks like little rocks). All you will ever do with the filter floss type cartridges, is rinse them every few days or so in old tank water. You would never rinse off your other media, unless it got so gunky nothing was moving through it (very unlikely in a well-maintained tank).

If you buy the filter cartridges that have carbon in them, you can remove the carbon yourself before inserting, as that is really not needed unless you're trying to remove meds. Otherwise, if you leave it in...there are two thought processes:

1. The carbon will get used up and re-release toxins back into the water

2. The carbon will get used up, however, re-use itself and grow BB's instead

If you are really worried about carbon (I'm not, but that's just me), then you can purchase your own filter floss and cut it to fit your filters. Then, the only time you would replace it, is when it got so shredded by use, it became useless. The same goes for store bought.

Im sorry but im really lost? They said that your suppose to change your fliter cartridge ever month so now i don't?

ever month

There is no set rule. When it's time, which is different in every tank. Also, you never want to change all of your filter cartridges at the same time. Wait a few days in-between each one, so you don't experience a cycle bump from taking away your BB's.

Im sorry but im really lost? They said that your suppose to change your fliter cartridge ever month so now i don't?

Who is "they"? :rofl

lol it says on my Aqua tech filter that it should be changed ever 2-4 weeks.

Yeah it says that on all of them, but don't do it! Its a great way for them to sell filters, though. I don't even change the filter that often on my tropical tank. I usually leave the carbon in and figure that once it loses its effectiveness, its a good place for bbs to grow. I've never had it re-release toxins in the water that I know of...I check the params often and have never shown ammonia or nitrites since the tank cycled. I suppose its possible that its releasing things that don't show up on a water test, but I do weekly large wcs.

Yeah it says that on all of them, but don't do it! Its a great way for them to sell filters, though. I don't even change the filter that often on my tropical tank. I usually leave the carbon in and figure that once it loses its effectiveness, its a good place for bbs to grow. I've never had it re-release toxins in the water that I know of...I check the params often and have never shown ammonia or nitrites since the tank cycled. I suppose its possible that its releasing things that don't show up on a water test, but I do weekly large wcs.

so dont ever change it then? cux im new at this lol...

Archived