A Slight Nooppee Rescue

thekatiedid

I stopped by nnnnnn today with some friends to buy a few odds and ends (I would boycot the store entirely but sadly in such a small rural college town.. it's all we have). And of course, I stopped by the aquarium section to check out the horror.The bettas, as usual, were in containers that I assume were previously used to house wonton soup.All had shredded fins. One dead African Frog.Three or more tropical tanks had white spot. It was so bad in one tank that one of the fish had deteriorating eyes.But the best part of my day, really, was when an adorable woman joined me at the betta counter and whispered, "I like to fill up their containers with new water from the filter at the sink when no one's looking. Help me?"So I spent my time waiting for my friends by helping her change the water in all the little betta chinese food containers. A breath of fresh air for them, I suppose. I wish I could take them all home! MORAL OF THE STORY:I know things have been done about the tragic nnnnnn fish trade... but there is MORE to be done.Hmm.. sorry.. I didn't know that the name couldn't be said?It was ********.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I LOVE PEOPLE LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIVE THAT WOMAN A MEDAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET'S START A SECRET UNDERGROUND GROUP OF PEOPLE WHO'S MAIN PURPOSE IS TO HELP FISH EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is sooo sweet of you both!!! :flowers What a lovely thing to do.

I know what you mean about that store. Mine has a very nice older gentleman taking care of the fish dept. and I think he does the best he knows how. But just today I was there and several tanks were full of ich--you could see it all over the fish. Of course some dead ones and some fin rot. And yeah the poor bettas. They had some huge females, though, bigger than normal. Wish I had more room to take some.

I was there this morning. In one of the goldfish tanks, they were keeping a female betta, and what looked like a male betta as well. I say this because the finnage remaining was longer than a female's, but looked like it was chewed down to practically nubs.

There were more bettas mixed with other tanks, some oviously distressed. Almost all the guppies in one tank had fin rot. I've seen demekins with a fuzzy white fungus or something covering their eyes. I wish that there were some standards that fish sellers had to follow, because the ********simply shouldn't be allowed to sell them.

I was at *******yesterday and I was looking at fishes also and it was so sad because there was so many fishes dead in the aquariums I got soo sick to my stomach :( They dont take care of thos poor lil fishes. most of the fishes are sick there. So sad...

The names of store chains and such are deliberately Nnnnnnned out because Koko's cannot run the risk of any lawsuits from things that are said on this forum. Because of this, we ask that you do refrain from circumventing this editing.....

We all are very aware of what stores you are speaking of when it is nnnnnnnnned out.

Many stores are nightmares. Others, however, are not. There have been numerous stores reported here that are doing a GREAT job of caring for the fish that are sold in their stores. There are others that are trying hard, but the department managers have a lot to learn. Teaching a willing manager will also go a long way to alliviating the fish's distress.

It seems that the quality of the fish keeping in a store is directly related to the knowledge and care of the manager - and this is variable. I am sorry that your store is sooooo sadly undereducated. Perhaps, other than simply filling cups of water, you could volunteer a bit of time to help teach and guide in the store.

Archived