White Spots

Guest jennie777

Guest jennie777

Hi all,

just looked in on my wee fish there and noticed the black moor is covered in tiny white spots!!! She is moving as normal, but these spots have really just appeared, she was ok this morning!!! We have had her for 1yr 1mth and she lived quite happily with the other goldfish. Christmas eve we changed the water in the tank put her bak in she floated to the top and started fitting! As these are my sons fish we thought she was dying anf went and got him another goldfish! Came back home and she was fine! So we now have the black moor and 2 goldfish. Can anybody help me here?

Many thanks

I suggest you post a thread in the disease and diagnosis section and answer all the questions in the box that way we can do our very best to help you :)

:welcome hope you enjoy being with us :)

Guest Chicklette

Yeppers, that is ick. I use rid ick plus. Works like a charm. You should also add some salt, 1tbs per 10 gallons of water. I suggest getting rid ick plus. When treating the tank be sure there is no carbon in the tank as this will remove the medication. Only add salt if you don't have any fish in there that can't handle salt.

Once you see the spots gone don't be fooled because this does not mean it cured but moved to the treatment phase. Keep medicating. After the spots fall off and medicate for a couple days clean you tank and vacuum the gravel really good.

The complaint does sound like ich however another detail caught my attention.

You said the fish floated and fitted after a water-change - did you add dechlorintor to the water going back in?

It would be a good idea to answer all the details from the box above so that we have a complete picture of your tank set-up.

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

What is the name and size of the filter/s?

How often do you change the water and how much?

How many fish in the tank and their size?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Any medications added to the tank?

Add any new fish to the tank?

What do you feed your fish?

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

Ich is very often triggered by the addition of a new fish or the stress of poor water quality. It is for this reason we have the white box above.

Note to other members assisting in diagnosis

I cannot stress enough how important it is to ask for this whole picture before treatment and diagnosis gets underway.

As an example: What if this turns out to be a 5 gal tank, or there is an ammonia presence, or the ph has crashed? etc - then there will be other issues which need addressing before the fish can really be helped. Try to remember not to miss out his very important first step.

Archived