Sign in to follow this  
Guest jasper

Too Much Water Conditioner

Guest jasper

I am new to this site and i have several questions. First, can you use too much water conditioner in your tank? Second, I have 2 goldfish and i noticed one of them has black color on the end of its tail fin. What is that?

Generally, no you can't use too much water conditioner. Not unless it has something else added that's not normally in conditioners..

As for the black tail part it could be many things, we'll need more info on your tank. You say you have 2 fish but what is the size of the tank, water parameters (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites), filtration system, when and how much water do you change at a waterchange, things like that. I'm going to go with either ammonia burn or just it's colour..

I am new to this site and i have several questions.

Welcome! Post some pics of your fish friends for us to see! You've found an awesome goldfish site. :rockon

A lot depends on the water conditioner. Some like PRIME can be double or triple dosed if you are having problems with ammonia or nitrates. The additional dosing detoxifies the harmful ammonia, nitrates, etc. so the fish are not stressed out. Other water conditioners like Stress Coat are tricky in that they can actually add additional slime to the fish coat and must be used with care. Too much of a slime coat can be harmful to the fish. In the case of a product like Amquel, an overdose of it can actually harmfully alter your water's chemistry if the water is not stable enough to tolerate the additional amount of dechlor.

Read the instructions very carefully and do not overdose unless the instructions say you can to detoxify harmful agents in the tank.

Good luck and welcome to the site!

Guest jasper

The tank is 10 gal. and the filter is Aqua tech 5-15. I have had them a couple of weeks. The ono goldfish was given to us by a friend and I purchased the other goldfish at nnnnnn. It didnt have the black on its tail fin when I bought it. I put one teaspoon of water conditioner in the tank. I noticed the water was cloudy so i took out 3 gal. replaced it and put 1/2 teas. conditioner in. How come the other fish doesn't have black on tail fin?

What is the brand name of your water conditioner? Did you follow the directions for your tank? Different products require different dosing... A tank shouldn't get cloudy from dechlor unless there's a problem.....

Did the cloudiness go after after you did the water change?

Young goldfish typically have black on their fins. He may lose the black coloration in time. They just do that as they grow up. The other fish may have already lost his black coloration, or may have never had it to begin with. Each goldfish is different for color as a youngster.

Now -- the bad news --- you're already overstocked in your ten gallon tank. Ideally you need at least 20 gallons PER goldfish if it is a common variety. If it is a fancy tailed variety, you can get away with a minimum of ten gallons PER fish, but you'll have to be on top of the weekly water changes.

I like to see a lot more space for common goldfish as they are very swift swimmers and they like to cover a lot of room in a zip. Two young fish in a ten gallon will quickly overwhelm the filter, crash the tank and hurt the fish. You need to upgrade to a bigger tank and better filtration, and soon.....

Can you upgrade?

What you are experiencing is 'new tank syndrome'. The cloudiness you are seeing is a sign of waste building up as your tank is uncycled. The ammonia levels will be rising very quickly and this is why your fish has ammonia burn - black marks. Some fish are more vulnerable than others.

So before going any further, do a massive temperature-matched water change and follow the dosing instructions on you de-chlorinator bottle. With 2 fish in only 10 gals you will need to change most of the water every day. Ammonia and nitrite build-up is the biggest killer of fish in new tanks.

Next try to get hold of a water testing kit ASAP so that you can see exactly when your water is rising above safe levels.

Take a moment to read the links at the bottom of my signature which will give you a better grip of the basics.

Your task is to maintain as close to perfect water as you can - it is the water which supports the fish. If the water is bad the fish cannot escape and will become ill and die very quickly.

Post back if there are other questions and welcome to our site.

Guest eric2601

Be mindful of conditioners that deal with your specific water situation - ie - most control chlorine and associated additives - - products like Kordons upgrades some conditioners - their standard ones - to include special needs for ammonia additives that many citys are now using in place of chlorine products. Your tests from the tap may be primarily ammonia and little or no Chloro additives. Most bio additives - like Seachams - new stability - to eliminate new syndrome and setup problems with their patented 3 bacteria solution - can be mega overdosed with no harmful effects - Topfin's "dechlorinator" on the orher hand can cause problems with sensitive fish - even as low as 10 drops per gallon.

Most bio additives - like Seachams - new stability - to eliminate new syndrome and setup problems with their patented 3 bacteria solution - can be mega overdosed with no harmful effects

I disagree. Everytime I use that product, my nitrites go crazy! How do you avoid that? I am afraid to put it in my cycled tanks, becuz I tried using it for a water change in my cycled 5 gallon a week ago, and it made me lose my cycle, and see nitrites off the scale again. I don't trust it at all. Maybe dosage is an issue after all!

Most bio additives - like Seachams - new stability - to eliminate new syndrome and setup problems with their patented 3 bacteria solution - can be mega overdosed with no harmful effects

I disagree. Everytime I use that product, my nitrites go crazy! How do you avoid that? I am afraid to put it in my cycled tanks, becuz I tried using it for a water change in my cycled 5 gallon a week ago, and it made me lose my cycle, and see nitrites off the scale again. I don't trust it at all. Maybe dosage is an issue after all!

When I used Stability, I didn't see any change at all, of course, at that time, I didn't know that I had practically no KH/GH in my water! :rofl However, I don't believe that ANY product out there can be "megaoverdosed" without and side effects to the fish.