Goldie Smell Vs. Wild Fish

jamisskat

Ive always wondered why don't our Goldie's smell fishy?.. Wild fish such as bass,catfish,ect.. really have a smelly odor...Ive never smelled goldies/koi with that fishy odor...Maybe excess slime coating on the wild fish?

only dead fish have that fishy smell

Ummm, not always. I have caught fish before when I went fishing as a little girl and those fish ALWAYS smelled "fishy". They weren't dead.

Yeah anytime I went fishing the fish had an awful fishy odor..

maybe its because of the water they come from. If u have a goldfish in a dirty bowl it will smell bad too, some water is like that in lakes and rivers. I saw a show once that said the reason when people catch fish and they smell fishy is only after they have been killed so I dunno.

I've noticed that fishy smell too. I've done a lot of fishing and it doesn't matter if the water looks dirty or it's crystal clear the fish have that smell and you don't have to kill them. It's handling them that causes people to smell fishy because they get the slime on their hands.

My hands have smelled fishy after handling my goldfish, koi and other tropical.

Guest eric2601

Fish smell - especiall the fishy tank smell - results from reactivity of various pollutants not being removed from the tank - acticated carbon is a great absorber of those "pollutants" ... some people - like myself - have found that - over time - your nose is a better indicator than all the test kits combined - practice in developingthe keen sense of the morning opening of a tank that has been with the top down over night - it will tell you a lot about excessive overfeeding, filter conditions - etc....

Now, believe me, I do alot of fishing, and I never really thought about this, but wild fish, dont smell that fishy all the time, but the things that tend to really reek of the fishy smell is things that the fish have been in, eg nets, and they dont just smell when they r dead....

I like to believe that it's because when I'm not around they're scrubbing each other down with tiny bath puffs and little shower caps over their wens. :heart

lol That is so cute!! :wub::OO:bath Somebody should totally do that!

Guest eric2601

Fortunate - I see I am - that I have ( one of ) a female fish that, thru the rigors of training, literally scours between every rock and uses magnifyinbg specticles ( remember Don Knox when he turned into a fish and he had to wear glasses?) to search out any particle of algae. Now mind you - My preference is to believe that I have two gifted fish - Punch as you know - and Lovie - the ever tending housewife - Ignoring the fact that she ios a simple unsatisfied AQUAPIGLET!~! I swear if she had a curly tail she would oimk - In fact I am sure that - as was mentioned - there is some scrubbing and preening going on behind a rock somewhere - again just to indulge her own needs!

Archived