Plants Too Great A Parasite Risk?

Lolafish

Although I started gettting some live plants a while ago, I'm thinking it was too big a risk to take on an otherwise, seemingly healthy tank.

I researched how to disinfect plants to make them as safe as possible, but even after doing so, it seems nothing is 100% failsafe.

I think I should rethink this whole plant situation......and not get any new ones. If my existing plants thrive, that's well and good, but I'm not going to replace them if they don't.

Originally, I thought the plants would have benefits that were good to have: a nice healthy snack for the fish, nitrate absorption, oxygen released into the water, aesthetics, etc....

But now I think the risks outweigh the benefits, and I'm not going to take those risks anymore.

I suppose it depends on one's priority and carefully weight the pros and cons.

TM, I remember reading in our book about how to some hobbyist, the plants in the tank is more important than the life of one fish. And that they refuse certain treatments to save a fishes life because it would kill the plant also. :blink::(

TM, I remember reading in our book about how to some hobbyist, the plants in the tank is more important than the life of one fish. And that they refuse certain treatments to save a fishes life because it would kill the plant also. :blink::(

:cry1 That's so sad.

I've spent close to $100 on all my plants in the last few months, and all that's left are 5, poorly leftovers. The salt is killing them, unfortunately. I can do without the mess they make anyway. Always gunking up the filters, and pieces floating all over the place. I just haven't got the time, nor energy it takes to care for them AND the fish.

I personally think my fish r more important than the plants (sorry plants!!!!) , why dont they qt the fish when they need to treat them.

I think in one of the cases, the entire tank needed to be salted but an hobbyist that puts their plants life ahead of the fishes would not salt the tank. I fully agree with you Shamu but supposedly some of these plants are super rare and worth a ton of money....

I can do without the mess they make anyway. Always gunking up the filters, and pieces floating all over the place. I just haven't got the time, nor energy it takes to care for them AND the fish.

That is exactly what the owner of the LFS told me. He said that live plants make horrific messes in the tank and are only worth it for the most devoted of tank "interior" decorators.

• Admin

that's one reason i only have Anubis in the tank, they don't care about the salt nor the light. I get a big plant, then split it having 3-4 plants, clean them with pp and haven't had a problem with them at all :D

I can do without the mess they make anyway. Always gunking up the filters, and pieces floating all over the place. I just haven't got the time, nor energy it takes to care for them AND the fish.

That is exactly what the owner of the LFS told me. He said that live plants make horrific messes in the tank and are only worth it for the most devoted of tank "interior" decorators.

Me too, it just makes the cleaning and maintenance three times worse. Besides, all my plants die, I've decided it's cruelity for me to even keep plants of any description. lol

If you take easy plants, meaning 'no messy plants' that can have a lot (Anubias it is not that difficult) than I think they have more good effects than bad.

I have to admit that I had a small snail problem in my empty cycling tank due to the fact that I had forgotten to bleach them.

Koko, when do you decide when there big enough and how exactly do you split Anubias?

:cry1 ?Why cant they just move the plant/goldfish to another tank and treat the goldfish individually? That way they could keep both of them...

:cry1 ?Why cant they just move the plant/goldfish to another tank and treat the goldfish individually? That way they could keep both of them...

I guess to some people, it's just a hobby, and to them the fishes are not pets but just a part of the decor of the tank. :(

I got a live plant once at the lfs and didn't know to bleach it. OMG, the snail problem was crazy! I finally got rid of the plant, but the snails had gotten into the gravel (in my tropical tank). A few weeks ago I just got disgusted and got rid of all the gravel and put new gravel in. Finally, no snails!! I'll never get another live plant.

i have not bought any new plants as mine seem to grow quick enough to start several planted tanks although i could use some more crypts lol. When i do get plants and qt them i do it for 2 months with weekly bleach dips and fortnightly boilings.

Archived