My Tank Cycled 2day...

Sally2007

Omg I really cant believe it its been 39days and now its cycled. :)

Well My mom knew how much I wanted fishes since my 2 goldies died in november so my mom bought me 2 Fantails Goldfishes. I will take pic later but I wanna know some stuffs first. They look healthy but I have no idea how healthy so I started treating them with Medi-Gold and I wanna add salt but I dont know if I should. what else should I do? or what else should I know?

Medigold, a food that has incorporated antibiotic medications in it, is used for specific bacterial infections. It is generally not wise to treat with an antibiotic agent unless you specifically SEE a problem to treat. Using the antibiotic when it is NOT necessary can introduce bacteria to the drug - potentially making them more resistant and the drug less effective for the furture.

That said - if you have STARTED the Medigold, it is essential that you continue for a full regiment. Do not stop before it is done - or you will DEFINATELY create resistant nasties.

Salt is a very benign, cheap and effective treatment - and good thing to use when QTing fish. Salt will take care of a very wide range of parasites and problems - and it is VERY difficult for anything to become immune.

The salt is raised in 0.1ppm increments every 12 hours until it is at 0.3ppm. The dose is 1 level teaspoon per 1 gallon OR 1 level Tablespoon per 5 gallons of large grained aquarium salt. Dissolve it before pouring it in the tank. Do not pour it over the fish. Do not pour it into your filter. Wait until you are done with the Medigold before using it.

Thanks for all the replys and I m gonna be taking some pics soon. How long should I use the medi-gold for? 14 days or 21 days and only once a day? can I also feed peas with the medi-gold?

For medi-gold, I believe you are suppose only feed medi-gold and no other food.

Rick says specifically that peas only as an additional food are okay to use with the Medigold. I just talked to him a few days ago on the phone.

Just as when you are given a prescription that is measured by how much you weigh, the goldfish, too, need to be given a certain percentage of its body weight each day.

If your fish are not eating well, then do not feed ANYTHING but the Medigold. You need to save all of their appetite for the medication. If you think they will eat it and you can feed it more than one time a day without sending your water parameters out of whack, feed it several times a day.

Each time you feed, the antibiotic levels rise in the fish right after eating. They then drop slowly until the next dose. Multiple feedings a day will more closely approach the dose needed for the fish - and will keep the levels of meds in the fish up more uniformly during the day.

Just as when you are given a prescription that is measured by how much you weigh, the goldfish, too, need to be given a certain percentage of its body weight each day.

If your fish are not eating well, then do not feed ANYTHING but the Medigold. You need to save all of their appetite for the medication. If you think they will eat it and you can feed it more than one time a day without sending your water parameters out of whack, feed it several times a day.

Each time you feed, the antibiotic levels rise in the fish right after eating. They then drop slowly until the next dose. Multiple feedings a day will more closely approach the dose needed for the fish - and will keep the levels of meds in the fish up more uniformly during the day.

Thanks Daryl I will feed them it twice a day.

Thanks Daryl I will feed them it twice a day.

Just watch your params with twice daily feedings, especially since you have a newly cycled tank. You may see a nitrite increase.

Hi Lola i did a 50% water change this morning and i didn't see a change in the nitrite do you know how i can get it down?

Hi Lola i did a 50% water change this morning and i didn't see a change in the nitrite do you know how i can get it down?

We all posted on your thread, to continue those WC's until your BB's catch up. Also, go back to once a day feedings (light feedings) until nitrites are zero again.

Archived