Heater Troubles!

Trico

Okay, my heater is incredibly old, maybe up to 15 yrs old now. Well I have my lil 5 gallon next to my desk, which is next to my window. Its winter, so brrr, and I really need this thing to work. Today I left the thing set to 76 degrees(I found it to be 60 in the morning, this thing is so unreliable!), at that point I left for school. I arrived home, and immediatly checked my tank and the reading showed 88 degrees :o ! OMgosh I want this thing to work! Is there anyway I can fix this? I don't want my lil mollies to freeze overnight! Please help until I can get a new heater!

well the room is around 70 degrees F, but the tank close to a window, sucking the heat right out of it. I'm going to try and insulate it a little bit to try to keep some heat in, as the heater is obviously doing its job too well...

What I did when the heat pump died this winter was just siphon out some of the tank water and add warmer water. Then I wrapped the tanks in towels or a blanket leaving a small space on top for ventilation. All my fish survived the night and next day and were fine until the repair guy came that evening and got the heat back on.

well the room is around 70 degrees F, but the tank close to a window, sucking the heat right out of it. I'm going to try and insulate it a little bit to try to keep some heat in, as the heater is obviously doing its job too well...

I would get a new heater ASAP. The heater is toast and your fish's livelihood is not worth risking.

Archived